July-August 2010 Model Railroad Hobbyist Released

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
The July-August 2010 Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine is now available for free download. It's 155 pages includes:

Kitbashing a U18B
Modeling the Pennsy Middle Division
Modeling decrepit track
A First Look at several recent ExactRail Releases
A column on modeling Amtrak in N Scale
...and many other articles and columns.

Reading options include downloading PDF versions with the rich media either included (182mb) or simply linked (20mb), reading it online in Flashbook format, and even a printer friendly black & white version (16.5mb).

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

Lots of good stuff in this issue. The decrepit track article alone is enough to make it worth the download. Even the photos look better every month.

I like MRH better than any of the pay publications, instead of articles that are just trying to hock a product you get articles that actually help the modeler. Keep up the good work, I can't wait for the next issue to be released!

MRH gets better with each issue/installment and with some of the print mags disappearing or getting skimpy MRH is a welcome addition.

Well, MRH is free but it's supported by the advertisers and they do pay for publishable articles and photos.

Well that is true. Joe Fugate has mentioned several times that anyone can submit an article they have made to them. So readers do provide a bit of participation to the magazine.

The CSX guy that is here a lot, I cant remember his name user name off hand, provided a nice article for beginners on detailing a CSX GP40. I think Joe relies on readers as much as the sponsors.

I think MR magazine may want to dip into the internet thing and think about how they can survive once this online free MRH gets popular. I like MR but the MRH is so simple and the articles are just as good. Hope they both can survive....

I think MR magazine may want to dip into the internet thing and think about how they can survive once this online free MRH gets popular. I like MR but the MRH is so simple and the articles are just as good. Hope they both can survive....

Although I find MRH an interesting concept that is providing some good modeling info, I would point out that it does appeal mostly to a certain type of audience, rather than having the universality of print. There still remains a major segment of hobbyists that would much rather read hardcopy material, rather than read it off a monitor.

Notice, too, that MRH's "circulation", in spite of its being totally free to subscribers, hasn't much exceeded that of past second tier model railroading magazines. Granted, in the past hardcopy magazines sometimes took years to build a large readership, but then you were also paying good money for them, which curtails potential expansion relative to one that is a "freebie".

Incidentally, I really can't see Kalmbach/MR going to a truly electronic format any time soon, since it would undoubtedly create a lot of internal problems for the organization, not the least of which would likely be a dramatic necessary reduction in staff. Today's manufacturers are increasingly using websites to hawk their products, drastically diminishing the income that publications formerly derived from large printed ads. MRH has a far smaller staff than MR and far less overhead, so they can survive on much less income...while MR, in its current form, could not.

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:

Back