John Deere Grader with Snowplow 1:87

PlowGuy

I’ve wanted to do one of these for a while now. Athearn John Deere Grader and two Ralph Ratcliffe snowplows. The rear plow had some frame modifications as I was assembling it, and the framework was all scratch built.
Steve
006_zpsf42fd700.jpg

005_zps84fa0f98.jpg

001_zpse565bcad.jpg

002_zps9a1534ce.jpg

That looks really cool. You build this stuff then let your kids play with it don't you? :D That is the only way I could imagine anyone could make something look that "naturally worn".

Is this something you have actually seen? Because I have never seen anything like that. It's awesome.

LOL, Thanks! As much as my kids would LOVE to play with them I must refrain!!!!
Yes, they are real and mostly used along highways and at airports. Google Grader snowplow and you will see 100 different versions. Thanks again for the kudos!

That looks really cool. You build this stuff then let your kids play with it don't you? :D That is the only way I could imagine anyone could make something look that "naturally worn".

Is this something you have actually seen? Because I have never seen anything like that. It's awesome.

That looks pretty much like what my cousin drives for the county where I live here in Iowa. Additionally part of the grader/snowplows here use a Vee plow on the front to break up drifts better. The wing blade is very common here and kicks the snow off the road shoulder and into the ditch. Without it the road can get narrower and narrower as additional snow falls and the road is plowed. When I was a kid the rural roads often got down to about a lane and a half wide before winter ended. Now they are full width all winter.

LOL, Thanks! As much as my kids would LOVE to play with them I must refrain!!!!
Yes, they are real and mostly used along highways and at airports. Google Grader snowplow and you will see 100 different versions. Thanks again for the kudos!

Funny story about this Steve...
I sat here tonight for a bit and tried to work on your decals. I also tried to work on my stake-side trailer a bit. But my 20 month old boy just needed too much daddy time tonight. So I broke out some of my cheaper freight cars and installed some Micro Trains trucks while Breydon went "chew chew chew" with them around my desk. To my amazement he has learned by my repeated "be gentle" comments and teaching him gentle playing with the trains he actually does VERY well with them. He can even couple up the Micro Trains couplers believe it or not. I watched him do it with ease a number of times before I decided he actually knew what he was doing. He is better at it than I am! So I gave him my CMW Roadway trucks and let him play with them on his Thomas table and he has finally decided to give daddy some free time to play. But shortly after giving him the trucks I heard his "Kew! Kew! noise that he does when he is smashing hot wheels together. So I had to put my trucks away LOL.

Great looking model! I just saw one of these being used the other day and I thought it was something locally used. Didn't realize it was used in other parts of the country. Very nice.

Kevin, I know how you feel, My daughter is almost 7 and my son is 20 months as well. I have a few extra older trains and vehicles that I let him play around with.

I have seen these graders all over the east coast from maine to Va. Pretty usefull machine as it can still be used for construction duties in the summer with the plows removed.

Yes, that thing is really cool looking. I want to do one in N scale, but finding a decent model to start out with is really hard to do.

my repeated "be gentle" comments and teaching him gentle playing with the trains he actually does VERY well with them.

I was equally surprised when my grandkids at 4 and 7 could maneuver my ho stuff with ease. It was those small fingers and keen eyesight of the youthfull body.

However, the sense of awareness wasn't enough to forgo the supervision. Next thing I knew it they stepped on the flatcar. Gave me an opportunity to upgrade the factory trucks.

lasm

ps. Great looking grader.

Really neat,after reading the thread I got to thinking I should have the parts leftover from a bash I did,now if I have the road grader I should be able to do this,but I promised myself not to start anymore projects till the others are done.Yeah I told myself that before!
N

I have numerous projects in various stages of completion. I don't think there is anything wrong with modeling that way. Heck, I have a couple kits I started 20 years ago ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Same here. I have a 100 and 1 things going on at given time - keeps it all interesting I think and you don't get bored with any one thing.

Cheers,

Hubby and I even throw our electric radio-controlled model sailplanes into the unfinished project mix. There must be twenty part-done projects in that hobby in our house. But that's a pittance compared to the HO model railroad projects we have already got going, and we have yet to cut the first benchwork.

I have discovered that it is possible for me to get enough unfinished stuff going that it boggles my mind. While I happily make the transition from flying models to HO models, I discover that I generally get into one then the other, and not very often both in the same day or week or sometimes months.

As long as we keep the number of projects few enough that it doesn't cause mental gridlock I like having several things going at once. Variety is the spice, etc....

Great model snowplow!

Hugs,
Diane

Back