John Allen's Docksider

N

NP2626

In the current issue of Model Railroader (Feb. 2020) is an article by Charlie Getz about the rumored Satchel full of John Allen's burnt-up locomotives after the fire that destroyed his Gorre & Daphetid Layout. The article features a Sakura #10 Docksider very similar to the Varney "Little Joe" Docksider locomotive. The Sakura locomotive had a cast metal shell. I have the Varney Docksider of a similar vintage with a plastic shell; but, with significant weight so that this locomotive is the best puller for it's size, of any that I have. The article is very interesting and should be a "Must Read" for anyone interested in John Allen! Charlie gave the locomotive to a Japanese friend he has to restore. Restoring old equipment is an interest I have also.

Yes, I did see the article in Model Railroader and found it to be very interesting since I'm a John Allen fan and admirer. I just wish that the author would have explained more of the many methods that he must of been used to do the restoration. Never the less an excellent article.

While I never did see the G&D in person or operate on the layout, I did see one of John's locomotives, #34 on display at the Kalmbach offices in Waukesha, Wisconsin while on a tour of the facilities along with viewing the Milwaukee, Racine & Troy layout built by the staff of MR.

When I was young I did purchase a Varney Dockside and then I lost track of it and then perhaps 15 years ago I did purchase another Dockside that was even in its original box. I took it to my office, a co-worker who collects HO locomotives wanted the locomotive so badly I sold the Dockside to him.

1579619997870.png
A Varney Dockside with the side valve kit installed.

Greg

Greg, great job on the "Little Joe"! I have the Valve kit; but, haven't installed yet. I like your roof vent atop the cab!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark: Thanks but I only I wish that was my work on that "Little Joe" but it isn't. It is great work and the valve gear so adds to the model's appeal.

I just wonder how well those early short locomotives ran through turnouts and crossings without losing electrical power?

Greg

I just wonder how well those early short locomotives ran through turnouts and crossings without losing electrical power?
When I was running the dockside, I was very young and only had the Atlas fiber tie and brass rail turnouts. They were #6 and #8 and of course had the soldered frogs so they were hot. Had home made ground throws. I do not remember any issues with stalling. But how much does a small child remember correctly?

Back