JMRI help required

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

#1
Now that my turnout Arduino work has progressed to the working point, I am turning some attention to getting DCC++ up and running.

So far, I have DCC++ working on an Arduino UNO and the motor shield and power supply working bas on the tests I have learned from a YouTube video.

So my next step was to get JMRI up and running on a Window 7 Dell laptop and it has been a bit of an exercise in frustration. The following is what I have done:

1- downloaded and installed Java SE 1.8 from Java.com

2- tested Java at the command prompt by typing Java -version

3- showed Java 1.8 was installed.

4- downloaded and installed JMRI 4.12 which is thee latest production version.

Up to this point all seemed to work well.

5- with and without the DCC++ bade station plugged in the the laptop, I started JMRI Panel Pro.

6- it started up with a dialog box asking for a profile.

7- I selected the default which I can’t remember the name of.

8- a small JMRI slash screen comes up, photo attached.

9- IT CRASHES AND NOTHING FURTHER HAPPENS.

10- I NEED HELP!!!

I also have tried starting Decoder Pro and nothing happens.

Any thoughts???

029CDCD8-0E1A-4D35-B312-24A9C65A5D4A.png
 

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
#3
I had to download and install a usb driver for the sprog I used.
You may want to see if you need something similar.
 
#8
So I installed Java and JMRI on our home theatre computer and it went without a hitch. The only problem is it is on the other end of the house. I have tried and retried 15 times to install Java and JMRI on the laptop that I need with no success. I am pretty sure it is a Java issue. I have tried all of these ways:

- Install with Admin rights.
- Install from command prompt with admin and the downloaded install file in the root of C drive.
- Created a new admin user and tried installing under that user.
- Installed the Java JSK developer package.
- Installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit SE packages.
- Did various installs with and without JMRI installed.
- Did MSCONFIG and booted with only limited services running.

I am at a loss. I hate Java at the moment!

I posted on the groups.io JMRIuser group to see if they have ideas.
 
#9
So I scrapped the computer idea.

DCC++ and JMRI set up.

So I finally got my Raspberry Pi and DCC++ set up.

Wi Throttle is also set up and seems to be communicating with JMRI.

It appears that on Panel Pro is in the JMRI version I have in the set up doesn’t have Decoder pro.

Problems I have is I have no clue how to set the two DCC locomotives up and make them move. A slight problem.

Looks like I have track power though. Lol

I will need to do some research. It’s a lot more complicated than than DC.
 

tootnkumin

Well-Known Member
Staff member
#10
So I scrapped the computer idea.

DCC++ and JMRI set up.

So I finally got my Raspberry Pi and DCC++ set up.

Wi Throttle is also set up and seems to be communicating with JMRI.

It appears that on Panel Pro is in the JMRI version I have in the set up doesn’t have Decoder pro.

Problems I have is I have no clue how to set the two DCC locomotives up and make them move. A slight problem.

Looks like I have track power though. Lol

I will need to do some research. It’s a lot more complicated than than DC.
Do you have a command station and cab (i.e. controller) WIFI and the JMRI program to enable it, are only for running trains with your phone, you can't program the CV's that deal with the addressing of locos with it.
 
#11
Well I was able to get my two locomotives working!

For some reason the USB port ttyAMCO didn’t show up as an option. After one of the reboots it decided to show up.

I was able to read the CV values of the locomotives and now it’s working.

I have a compact keyboard and am using a projector for a monitor at the moment.

Curious if anyone has a fully configured JMRI for raspberry pi that includes Decoder Pro?

Here are some action shots.

The photo with the small circuit boards is the Arduino Base Station and motor shield.

CF7D91AD-AACB-449A-984C-1ABE888AB0E4.jpeg
1EA9E7FF-E01C-4543-ADD8-36C3E98893A0.jpeg
28E9BB69-4F75-4B56-A1D9-A3F44B29A135.jpeg
 

Attachments

#12
Panel PRO includes Decoder PRO......you should see Roster across the initial pane banner. If you click on that, a oull-down will open, and select roster again.

MAGIC!!! You now have the complete Decoder PRO environment. It was there all along.

Good Luck!
 
#13
So I installed my new AR1 last night for the reversing loop. It was working fine but I started having my DCC++ base station power shutting off.

I turned up the current in the program from 800mA output to 1.6 A. Using the following code change in the CurrentMonitor.h subroutine. I then reloaded the new sketch to the Arduino.

Max. Current

In file CurrentMonitor.h the max. current can be changed on line 16:

#define CURRENT_SAMPLE_MAX 300

ValueMax. currentValue
300. 800 mA
600. 1600 mA
750. 2000 mA

I selected the 1.6A as a start to see if it would surfice and it seems to be.
 



ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com