Jerome's Switcher Roster V 3.0

Another SW1000 rolls into the workshop. What shall we do this time??? psssssttt Karl pay special attention to this one. Lol
20190309_165615.jpg

Got it, will get it in orange down the middle today.

1:40pm it is outside drying in the sun, will glosscoat the orange this evening.

Last edited:
While we wait on paint to dry, we are going to start on something totally different for me. A Rapido GMD-1. Not sure if it is technically a switcher or not, but it looks pretty close. Maybe some of our Canadian brothers can chime in with a bit more history and tech specks on it. ;)
20190313_155459.jpg

They're technically classified as road switchers so you're safe!
They originally had three axle trucks with the middle axle being unpowered to distribute the locos weight on lighter branch line track. These were referred to as A-1-A.
The downside was a loss of traction for the powered axles so two axle trucks were later installed. I think Rapido made both versions.

I can't take credit for that one. Someone passed it on to me years ago. It's practical and inexpensive.

Jerome, it's still a great idea. Also, regarding the GMD-1, I don't have any idea how the Canadian Railroads classified the loco, but the PRR initially classified similar locos (Baldwin RS12, ALCo RS-1 as Switchers. That lasted until 1966, when everything was renumbered and reclassified in anticipation of the PC Merger.

Boris

They're technically classified as road switchers so you're safe!
They originally had three axle trucks with the middle axle being unpowered to distribute the locos weight on lighter branch line track. These were referred to as A-1-A.
The downside was a loss of traction for the powered axles so two axle trucks were later installed. I think Rapido made both versions.

Rick, thank you for the info. Just neat engines I think.

No good me suggesting MRL's Canadian sister line, SRY's GMD-1's then. Rapido has already done them.
View attachment 35117
Toot, I think I will do one in my A&P, then one like this old CN style.

Jerome, it's still a great idea. Also, regarding the GMD-1, I don't have any idea how the Canadian Railroads classified the loco, but the PRR initially classified similar locos (Baldwin RS12, ALCo RS-1 as Switchers. That lasted until 1966, when everything was renumbered and reclassified in anticipation of the PC Merger.

Boris
Boris, that's what I like about this forums, we share ideas and knowledge. ;)
showimage.php.jpg

Jerome: The photo reminded me of an article in Model Railroader back in the early 60s, concerning the EMD RS-1325. Believe there were only two built for a Mid-western carrier. Essentially, they were a SW-1200 with a short hood, on a lengthened frame, rated at 1325 hp. Believe the short hood might have been a low profile hood like the GP18s and GP20s were coming with.

Boris

Back