Japanese-style scenery (specifically trees)?

van

Hi folks,

Firstly I have to confess that I'm not here as a model train enthusiast. I love them as much as the next guy, but no, I don't have a set. My father and I built one together when I was younger, but it was lost in a house fire and we never returned to the hobby. Shame!

Right now though, I'm here to ask for some advice/help on a vaguely related topic.

I've recently made a small scene/diorama (link 1, link 2) using some 1:24 scale die-cast toys, specifically a couple of a Datsun 240Zs. I have to admit, haha, it's not very good! But I did it all in one night, with no guidance or research, and it's the first scene I've ever made, so I'm happy with it.

Anyway, my dilemma is that I'm unhappy with the foliage. It was intended to be a Japanese scene, as if the cars were driving through the Japanese countryside. Unfortunately, the foliage is somewhat more western-like. I'd love to have some Sakuras and Japanese Maples, etc. The usual Japanese trees.

Does anybody know where I could source some model accessories of that type? I figure there has to be an online store somewhere that sells them, even if only Japanese. I can use a service like rinkya.com to make the purchase, but I'm having a hard time finding a source!

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers all

- Van
Melbourne, Aus

Hello Van!

In scale: 1: 24 ...I think you have to make them yourself!
if you wanna buy them :it is going to be very expensive....=(!!
btw: a small diorame is that like 2 feet x 1 foot? I ask because one or two trees are far enough on that small space..
What do you mean by:
I'm unhappy with the foliage
w.o.w. is it to rough or do they have to look exactly like the leafs of a maple....if so there are some comp. who makes them but again: expen$ive if you wanna make a whole maple tree out of it...
Can you be more speciffic about it? how large/wide etc...
read the thread: "how to make trees and shrubs" http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5015
Than, you may be ,can make the trees by your own ......

Jos

Where's you diorama supposed to be at in Japan? Flatlands, mountains, city, what? Japan is a big and diverse country and ranges from some places that are almost desert to lush forest where most of the trees are very similar to mixed deciduous and pine forests anywhere in the northern hemisphere. I guess I'm not clear on what you want to do to make your diorama look more "Japanese". BTW, there are no links in your post so I can't see what you've already done.

Back