Issue with a DCC Equipped engine

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi Guys,

I have two Athearn Genesis DCC Equipped Engines, one GP38-2 and a 4-6-2 Steamer. I also have a Bachmann DCC Equipped 2-6-0. Each has it's own particular problem and they are as follows:

GP38-2

This engine sits on the track and "whines" but nothing else. Have tried (with others help) to program it to the Cabin Number and that appears to have worked; however, it does nothing. It almost sounds like a DC engine on a DCC track.

4-6-2

Each time I place it on the track it seems to short the system out. I have checked and double checked the plug from the tender to the engine and that seems to only go in one way. Everything appears to be visually good.

2-6-0

This engine has been programmed and the sounds all work and can be turned on and off; however, it goes no where.

So three DCC Equipped Engines, the first two are virtually brand new, with problems. Anyone have any idea of what maybe causing those problems and what may need to be done to fix them please?

4-6-2 Each time I place it on the track it seems to short the system out. I have checked and double checked the plug from the tender to the engine and that seems to only go in one way. Everything appears to be visually good.
Wow, where did you find that model? I believe that was the very first loco in the Genesis line. Unfortunately, if it is a factory decoder it is one of the old MRC type.

For trouble shooting. First I would not plug them together. Put them on the track one at a time and see if one or the other is the problem all by itself.

I would next examine the trucks on the tender to be certain that both the wheel sets in each of the trucks are put in the same way. Both with the insulated wheel on one side. I would also check to be certain one (or both) of them has not pivoted 180 degrees.

Horseman,

I think I found it down in Gettysburg at a Hobby Shop there a few years ago. I didn't realise it was a rarity as such. I know it is one of my favorite engines and definitely my favorite steamer.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look as you suggested and see what (if anything) happens and will let you know. Do you think it would be worth "upgrading" the decoder to something more modern so to speak? If so, which decoder would you suggest? I'd really like to get this engine back up and running.

Okay, have checked as you said and this is the result:

1. It no longer shorts out. I turned one truck at a time until that happened so it appears as though it was a truck that had been turned around.

Now; however, I have nothing - no sound, no movement, no nothing so perhaps then a decoder upgrade maybe required?

Genetk44,

Yep have done that with no result other than getting the "short" back :(

One thing I have just noticed though, the tender seems to have a fairly "mean" lean to one side?

Yep, that is going to be my next (very hesitant) move I think. One thing I also noticed (after we spoke) was seeing a "FLASH" (llike a lightening flash) beneath the engine when I last placed the thing on the track. I have a bad feeling that that flash ISN'T a good thing and have this nasty feeling that I have "fried something" :(

That flash, which was VERY obvious was beneath the engine and central between the main drive wheels.

Tony, I think the GP38 may have a pinched wire, or one that has come loose and is touching something it shouldn't.
You've said it runs on DC, it's very possible a wire or connector from one of the trucks is contacting the frame or another connection.

I've had a problem with Bachmann steamers where the clip that holds the spring and brush in to the motor has loosened, and will not allow power to get to the commutator. It is an easy fix, simply squeeze the brush holders closer to the motor.

Terry,

Thanks mate, I just need to work up the courage to pull it/them apart to see.

A couple of questions, with regards the GP38 - what exactly am I am going to be looking for? Same question for the Bachmann Steamers as well.

Okay, have just looked at the GP38 along with the "Manual" that came with it - clear as mud!

How on earth do you remove the body to get to the motor etc?

Tony, to pull the shell loose from the GP38 (it IS a Genesis engine?), simply unscrew the coupler mounts, remove the couplers and draft gear boxes, and gently pull the shell and walkway off the frame. Be careful, as there are miles of wiring for the headlights inside.

Embarrassment time for me ... found the problem with the Bachmann 2-6-0 ... the plug between the tender and the engine was loose :eek: Pushed the plug "all the way in" and now there isn't an issue. Darn it, do I feel like a complete idiot now where this engine is concerned.

So now I have three DCC engines running:

Walthers F40
Bachmann 2-8-0, and now
Bachmann 2-6-0

Three down, 2 to go in so far as the DCC engines are concerned and 1 DCC Ready (GP35) to setup with a decoder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Embarrassment time for me ... found the problem with the Bachmann 2-6-0 ... the plug between the tender and the engine was loose :eek: Pushed the plug "all the way in" and now there isn't an issue. Darn it, do I feel like a complete idiot now where this engine is concerned.

So now I have three DCC engines running:

Walthers F40
Bachmann 2-8-0, and now
Bachmann 2-6-0

Three down, 2 to go in so far as the DCC engines are concerned and 1 DCC Ready (GP35) to setup with a decoder.

Sh*t happens Tony...and we have all been there at least once in our modelling careers. Glad to see you got another loco sorted.

Terry,

Thanks mate, I just need to work up the courage to pull it/them apart to see.

A couple of questions, with regards the GP38 - what exactly am I am going to be looking for? Same question for the Bachmann Steamers as well.

Well...first thing to check, once it is open is to make sure it really is a DCC loco and has a chip/decoder in it. Then make sure, by really looking closely that all wiring is firmly connected, not pinched anywhere, no exposed wire is touching metal...make sure the copper pick-ups on the trucks are all making good contact with the wheels and are well-wired to the motor or chip. And remember...you can always take a pic or 6 and upload it here so we can act as extra eyes if you don't spot anything. DSCN2163.jpg

Genetk44,

Thanks, as soon as I can figure out how to get the body of the GP38 off, I'll take a look and see if it isn't something simple that I can fix. If not, it's off to the local hobby shop for repairs I think.

After talking with Genetk44 last night, I sent him some pictures of what the "insides" of the GP38-2 looked like - neither of us knew if what we were looking at was a Decoder or Just a Sound Board, or what a small 9 pin plug was for as there didn't seem to be anything plugged into it.

The end result was that we concluded the engine was "missing" its decoder. Here are the pictures I sent - so what do you guys think? Does it appear to have everything it should have?

Keep in mind, this is a Genesis Engine and is "SUPPOSE" to be DCC Equipped:

GP1_zpscuvauasx.jpg

GP2_zpsekgu0kmf.jpg

After looking at the insides, I looked at the manual and found the "Tsunami Soundboard" (but have no sound) but did not see the 9 pin plug. I also saw something in the manual they called a "DCC Adapter Board" BUT cannot see that board in the engine itself.

Basically, am I missing the DCC Decoder? If not, why is the 9 pin plug just sitting there not attached to anything? What is the little "Black Box" thing with the 8 little silver holes (I think) for?

After talking with Genetk44 last night, I sent him some pictures of what the "insides" of the GP38-2 looked like - neither of us knew if what we were looking at was a Decoder or Just a Sound Board, or what a small 9 pin plug was for as there didn't seem to be anything plugged into it.

The end result was that we concluded the engine was "missing" its decoder. Here are the pictures I sent - so what do you guys think? Does it appear to have everything it should have?
Agree, there is NO decoder there.

I am guessing the thing plugged into 9-pin is a diode matrix to have the directional headlights on DC power.

Looks like it will take either a 9-pin side mount or an 8 pin NMRA type. The 9-pin is not just sitting there it is connected to the left. Then that little black box with the 8 holes you asked about is the NMRA DCC decoder plug.

The tricky part with decoder installation here is that the light bulbs are 1.5V. So just any generic decoder plugged in there with instantly blow all the headlights. I do not know which decoders have 1.2V output for this type of lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It no longer shorts out. I turned one truck at a time until that happened so it appears as though it was a truck that had been turned around.
Yeah, the most common issue with truck pick ups.

Now; however, I have nothing - no sound, no movement, no nothing so perhaps then a decoder upgrade maybe required?
You tried channel 3 correct? If not did you try the decoder reset? Unfortunately I don't remember what the MRC reset sequence is.

Back