Is this dumb or what?

Chip, the SP didn't have many refrigerator cars in 1891. Using 1890 as a base, there were about 23,000 refrigerator cars in service but only about 6,000 were railroad owned. The vast majority of reefers were meat cars carrying dressed beef. Since it doesn't look like you have a slaughterhouse as part of your plan, it's unlikely that any outbound reefers would have been used in Rock Ridge or Train City.

The SP itself owned almost no reefers. An agreement in 1906 established the Pacific Fruit Express Corporation, jointly owned by the UP and SP. Except for meat, almost all other perishables were carried in PFE cars on the SP. PFE began operations in 1907 with a fleet of 6600 brand new ice reefers. At the same time, icing stations were built in 17 locations on the UP and SP, the largest being at Roseville, CA. So, long story short, moving up to 1909 would be much more in keeping with icing platforms and reefer cars.

Chip,

Glad to see you're back and actively practicing the Hobby once again! I can't answer your SP reefers question, but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it all work. Sure wish you could've saved the Indiana Branch PRR, but I can see where it's probably better to focus on a single layout and era to keep things manageable.

Did I tell you I had my first op session last Wednesday? It was a great success, sure adds a whole new dimension to mrr'ing.

Chip,

Glad to see you're back and actively practicing the Hobby once again! I can't answer your SP reefers question, but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it all work. Sure wish you could've saved the Indiana Branch PRR, but I can see where it's probably better to focus on a single layout and era to keep things manageable.

Did I tell you I had my first op session last Wednesday? It was a great success, sure adds a whole new dimension to mrr'ing.

Tis the season,

My MRR career took a nose dive when I moved out of my office and into my home. This last summer was spent finding ways to get rid of 3 office space rooms form my train room. In the meantime, I found that working on the phone turned me into the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man and I needed to move my asterisk. So I started playing whack-a-mole with a Titlist.

Of course the last couple weeks there has been a high probability I'd lose my ball so, I called a beginning of Model Railroading Season.. This weekend, I have to re-organize my stuff and then set about installing the light system. Then I have all week to come up with a lumber list.

Congrats on the ops session. That's the one thing I have kept up on. My next one is on 12-12.

Okay George,

You know when you let thing set a bit you think of ways to solve the things that bother you. Today, those things were the 4 visible double slips. Well there all gone now, with no loss of functionality.

Sorry Crandell.

I also flipped the brewery and the freight house. Just feels better.

rockridgetraincityII-3c.jpg

I've been looking at it, and if you could get a steady 1% grade, compensated, you would have between 18"-24" separation in levels, if you wanted to stack Sacramento under Carson City. That's as much as I had between levels on my old home layout. You could also have Sacramento sit slightly out further from Carson City, and still have room for any slightly protruding stomachs you may have to reach Carson City.

Terry, if I did that I couldn't have continuous running. Right now I can't bring Sacramento out more than it is. There is a freezer that would be locked from opening.

Joe, I could, but then I'd have half as much staging.

Back