Is there really an Atlas track shortage???

PrairieKnight

I just returned home from a trip to my LHS. I was looking for Atlas code 83 track and turn outs for an addition to our layout that my son and I will be working on tomorrow. I did not find much in the way of Atlas track or turn outs at the shop. I was told that Atlas track is hard to come by these days. They had a few Atlas snap switch #4s (manual) for $23.00 each..... but not a selection of Atlas track or turnouts like they used to have.....and… at a price that used to be much cheaper then that. I will admit that it has been a while since I have been in the market for track and turn outs. So..... is there truly a shortage of Atlas track and turn outs? And where is a good place online to purchase Atlas track and turn outs? BTW.... I am looking for Atlas #4 manual turnouts. I am not particular about the brand of track. I have Atlas code 83 on my existing layout.

Weren't they one of the companies that had their contractor in China shut down on them? Perhaps bringing production home would help. I understand the prices would be higher, but you'd have a better control on quality.

I have an all Atlas track layout, except for one Scissors cross over, which is Shinohara. Many of my Atlas switches are around 30 years old and I'm finding that the point rails are loosing continuity (Dead). If I where starting over again, I would go with another manufacturer's Turnouts. even though this would be more expensive. I guess you get what you pay for! I've found Atlas's Flex Track to work very well and is worth its' cost. Now that it is readily available in Code 83 it is even more attractive!

Like Mark, my layout is all Atlas track and turnouts and the been installed for maybe 15 or more years. I have not encountered too many problems and I do like the Atlas track. My previously layout had Code 70 Shinohara turnouts which did given more problems that the current Atlas.

My layout expansion (basically a yard) will use some of my remaining new Code 70 Shinohara turnouts and then Micro Engineering ladder turnouts to save space. The balance of the turnouts will be Atlas and the track where it is Code 83, also Atlas. The Shinohara turnouts I'll wire to prevent the conductive problems and may do the same with the Atlas turnouts.

Atlas did have manufacturing problems a few years ago, but I believe that's been solved, But, shipping delays can happen when you a container or two of Atlas flex track sitting in a seaport in California.

Greg

I was in my LHS yesterday afternoon, I remembered reading this thread so I looked at the Atlas track section. It looked very thin. I asked Ma (Mrs. Hayes) she said they are having problems stocking most Atlas track but especially #6 left and right switches. Just my 2 cents.

I may go to Walthers this weekend and I'll the guys there about Atlas track and if there's a shortage.

Greg

UPDATE..
I was at my LHS again this weekend and they were restocked with everything I needed in the way of Atlas track for my yard addition. They did say that with the current situation in China that there very well might be a shortage of some items in the future, they were not sure though. I appreciate the posts on the thread. Mike: I appreciate the suggestion of using Model Train Stuff for ordering items for mail order. I will give them a try. I have not ordered anything since I had a disaster with Micro Mark a few years ago. Since then I have been using the LHS for buying in store or they have been great about ordering items into the store that I am looking for. NP and Greg: I hear you about using all Atlas track. I have thought more then once about changing from Atlas track. But that is what I started with years ago and I figure I better dance with the girl that I came with. Even though I have had to replace a few turnouts, I believe that I am money over the more expensive track manufacturers. Thanks again for the posts. Much appreciated.

I may go to Walthers this weekend and I'll the guys there about Atlas track and if there's a shortage.

Greg
I got much of my atlas track from walthers website last week. They did have a lot out of stock but many turnouts were in stock. Mostly sectional radius were out of stock

I admit: I'm a part of the shortage. I'm using it in place of TP.

ouch.jpg

Back