is proto a good company?

kwalker421

H-8 Lover
i know proto is a branch of life like which is a branch of walthers and i was thinking of buying a GP7 with sound & DCC. is this a good idea? ive heard rumors that proto is great and not so great. could really use some input

Their early geeps [when Lifelike was still independent] had a problem with the worm gears cracking in half, but those were relatively easy to replace. I've mostly been pleased with the way mine run, a decoder makes 'em run even better!

Ever since Walthers bought Lifelike, the quality control has improved. Unfortunately the prices have also gone up drasitcally...

thanks. do you know if their GP7s are any good? idont want to spend $250 on a heap of nothing! Life like needs some improvement but i hear proto has it's ups and downs.

and yeah, their prices have gone up! an 0-8-0 switcher is $250! that's just crazy!

I've got two P2K GP7's with sound. Very happy with them. They run well and sound great. The shells are nicely detailed, though both of my units are getting new shells to match Canadian prototypes. $250 each is a little steep, I was able to get mine on sale for $160 CND at the time.

I have 3 Proto GP38-2s and a Proto SD60 and they are some of my favorites. Right now I just run them analog, and they can pull a load and run quietly and slowly.

I agree with Fred. My UP P2K GP-7 with sound is one of the smoothest running and best looking engines in my stable. I also agree that $250 is way too high. For example, you can get a Phase 1 TP&W GP-7 at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Proto_2000_HO_40859_GP7_PHASE_I_TP_W_103_p/920-40859.htm with DCC and sound for $160. Different roadnames go in an out of stock frequently. If there's a particular roadname you want, you can get it backordered or check e-bay and see if you can get it at at a similar or even lower price.

I have a relatively old P2K GP7 (5yrs) and have enjoyed good performance the entire time. No gear problems.

I agree with all the guys here. I have 2 GP30's, a GP38-2, and an SD9 and ALL of them run GREAT! I have on the other hand had SOME problems with them at one time or another. Normally, its either cracked gears, some wire that has come loose (after I took the shell off) or other minor fixes, but most of which are to be expected with ANY locomotive. As far as them looking the best, I DEFINANTLY agree! They run smoother, pull harder, and actually IMHO have nicer details than any of their competitors. The only drawbacks is, as mentioned above, the ridiculously high prices these days, the cracked gear problem, plastic grabirons (as opposed to metal ones that are much better looking and of course more durable) and of course, it seems that there is not that much of a lineup and there are not alot of different locos to choose from! Alot of their old models are not available anymore....
This goes out to everyone as a FWIW: When I recently bought a B&O GP30 from Ebay and received it in pieces, I contacted Walthers. Although the service was VERY friendly and considerate, they were asking $60 for a replacement shell! I've checked everywhere and they are impossible to find! :(
The bottom line, P2K, strong runner, looks great, hard to find replacement parts and very expensive when you do!

-Rich

My P2K fleet consists of 7 GP38-2's, 5 GP60's, 3 SD60(M), and 1 GP9. The only problem so far is that all the above except the GP9 had the number board lights incorrectly wired at the factory. When you add a DCC decoder the decoder sees the wiring as a short and shuts things down. The fix is real easy and isn't an issue at all if you leave it in DC configuration.

The detail is good, running is great, and the paint is 97% accurate. My biggest gripe with the P2K paint so far is that they delivered the Rock Island sun shades in white where the prototypes were bankrupt blue. Minor issue except for all the work involved in matching paint for a respray.

As far as detail goes so far the only problems I see with the Rock Island units are the lack of cab vents, the addition of foot boards on the pilot, and a missing jack pad. I'm sure Josh and Jim could point out a lot more but I don't have their knowledge and eye.

All said I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another if the price was right.

Every model has there woes. I know when P2K did the SD60's in CR blue (I got 2 of them myself CR 6840 & 6842), the color was wrong. It was more like a purplish color. Although, they are great models, great details, etc. I love how they weigh, there heavy and slow. Just the way I need them to be.

$250 sounds very high...I bought a P2K SW8/900 with factory installed DCC sound for $186.00 Cdn. this summer. It sounds great and runs like a charm.
Cheers
Gene

Back