Intel CPU question ...

Get yourself a good firewall, I am using privatefirewall, antivirus is Avast. Download these you won't have security problems, keep your browser up to date. I am actually running on this reply an older system using AMD and the last version of firefox supporting XP. I experimented with an Intel processor system and there was some graphic glitch in a software and the system had some problem, its dead Jim. I am stuck on AMD. If your concernend about updates, MS has done security patches for older systems even tho they have ended support on them. I have a Win7 system, but there are some quirky features I don't like, I will keep it for compatibility issues, but I will keep XP for the same reason and I even have a win98 system for the same reason even a DOS system stuck away. another feature I dont like for Intel processors are the CPU pins, there are not pins, but feathery contacts that are fragile. one wrong move you will ruin them installing them. AMD pins have always been solid pins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you aware that MS has stopped all support and security updates for Windows 7?
This statement is not correct. I own four Windows 7 PCs, and all of them receive frequent security updates via Windows Update.

The details:

Windows 7 has exited "mainstream support," which means Windows 7 won't be getting any new features, and you can no longer receive FREE Windows 7 telephone support from Microsoft.

Windows 7 is now in Microsoft's "extended support" phase, and they will continue to provide security fixes until at least January 14, 2020.

Incidentally, Microsoft has already announced the end of lifecycle dates for Windows 10! Mainstream Support for Windows 10 ends on October 13, 2020. Extended Support for Windows 10 ends on October 14, 2025. This seems strange to me, since Microsoft once said Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows, implying it would continue to be updated rather than being replaced by another version of Windows. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Also, while Microsoft no longer allows "consumer" PCs to be sold with Windows 7, "business" PCs with Windows 7 Professional are still permitted and are available from several vendors.

- Jeff

Jeff,

"...This statement is not correct. I own four Windows 7 PCs, and all of them receive frequent security updates via Windows Update..."

Ditto to that.

Interesting what you said about windows 10 being the last. I had an immediate flash back to the demise of their Flight Sims and the "sacking" of their ACES branch. In that case, ACES was shut down due to, or attributed to, the number of complaints lodged about FSX (10). Ironically, it seems as though the number "10" is where microsucks stops.

Back