Intel CPU question ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Do we have any Computer Techs/Guru's here?

If we do, I am in the process of building a new computer for my wife running Windows 7. What I want to use as a CPU is the following:

Intel i7-6700k (Skylake) Processor.

I have read that microsucks has stopped support of windows 7 with their "new" 7th generation (plus) processors and that anything other than (pretty much) windows 10 can be run on them.

Some people say that the Intel 6th gen processors or Skylake Versions, such as the one I am looking at, will still run and support windows 7 until mid 2020.

Can someone positively confirm that the CPU I am looking at WILL without a problem RUN windows 7. Last thing I want to do is spend the money on the processor to discover that Windows 7 cannot be used with it.

I buy them when price is reasonable. I always wait for the "deals". Given the choice straight up I would go with AMD just because they aren't Intel. I have not purchased a Ryzen thread ripper yet. I will wait at least through the third set of price drops.

Intel and AMD have been playing leap frog for decades now. I dropped out of the Intel camp way back (1996?) with the first Pentium's that couldn't divide properly. Even then I've always been a fan of AMD's innovation. They were the first ones with the front side bus, first with on chip cache, first to integrate graphics, now with what they are calling threading technology. But whatever they come up with just wait 6-9 months and Intel will have that too, usually in a faster and more durable package. Having said that I think my current "normal" desktop is an Intel, while my notebook is an AMD A8.

Right now very few people need computers with any of the latest bells and whistles and not even the processing speed. For normal use, several year old technology is fine. In my case, I'm constantly looking for the next highest prime number (have my own algorithm for it), next decimal of PI, square root of 2 and the like so I actually use all that processing power. As of today (with the bitcoin stock decline) I am even considering going in to mining digital currencies.

But like I said I have not built a machine from scratch in forever. I watch Dell & HP sites for top of the line refurbished machines I can pick up for 30-50% off retail. They always come with OS pre-installed.

P.S. I guess I should add that way back in the mid 1980s (486 days) my first encounter with AMD was not good. It was in a E-tower 333 machine. It only lasted a few (6-8)months. I don't think that was a CPU chip problem though, I think that was the E-tower mother board issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horseman,

Thank you for your, as always, detailed reply. I am not an Intel Fan Boy by any means and prefer value for money and for what I buy to do the job being asked of it.

I actually looked at the AMD processors and they are certainly cheaper than the Intel stuff, as are the AMD mother boards. The only down side (from my perspective) is I didn't see an AMD board that had 2 HDMI sockets for monitors. That may not be a big deal for most but that is one of my considerations when buying a mother board. Maybe I missed one or two but was looking at their Ryzen processors and AM4 socket boards.

Tony:

Are you aware that MS has stopped all support and security updates for Windows 7? You will be miles ahead with purchasing a recon machine with an OS already installed and Windows 10 my choice.

My 2 cents worth.

Greg

Kevin,

Thanks but I think your source of information is a little out dated. According to microsucks, support for windows 7 and windows 8 and 8.1 will continue until the middle if 2020. Both I and my wife have windows 7 and we get updates and support for it.

As for buying a computer off the shelf, your joking right, refurbished or not. Every computer my wife and I have had has been built by me to our specifications and needs not someone else's. Secondly, and more importantly, I'm not paying for stuff I don't want or need, ie another OS.

I'm certainly not getting into a Windows 10 debate as I doubt anyone would like my views and opinions on it. I will go to Linux or Apple before I will install windows 10 or frankly any further microsuck OS on any of my computers, period.

My question was simply are the Intel 6th Gen CPU's, specifically the skylake versions, capable of running windows 7 as has been suggested. If they aren't, I'll go to AMD or a CPU that will.

Tony, do yourself a favor and do like the Iron Horsemen does, shop for a deal on a ready to run PC. We can't compete with the big boys any more when it comes to cost. Unless you are building a high-end gaming/graphics system you will pay more for less.

I built and sold my own brand of private label computers in the 90s. I made a small fortune, but the cost rose to high to compete with the big boys. Now I shop for deals and don't bother with building PCs, it's not worth the time and effort only to spend more.

It's not a question of whether the CPU supports the Operating System. Rather the question is; does the Operating System support/recognize the CPU and motherboard architecture.

Forget windows 7, that is yesterdays technology. If you insist on running windows 7 you will leave yourself exposed to security risks. If you investigate windows 10 you will see most of the enhancements are to deal with security. Microsoft gave it away for free because it was cheaper than protecting themselves from the risks with older operating systems. It did not work as well as planned because to many users refuse to upgrade.

If you really want to stay with windows 7, I don't know why you would, but if you do, look for a used PC and replace the hard drive. Another option would be new old stock.

Sorry, I am an AMD person. I've and not worked with raw processors or new OSes for a long time.

Did you like Cyrix? I thought they were a good alternative, but the Pentium hype all but killed them. Advertising is more powerful than results. "it's what inside". Apple is a perfect example.

For my money when I was building PCs AMD was to hit or miss. I did not like making free service calls to my customers for warranty work. I never had a single Intel processor fail to do the job.

Louis,

Please read my reply above. That is not going to change for any reason, regardless of what anyone says with regards windows 10 or buying a pre built PC.

As for the cost - it would cost me in the vicinity of $3000 to buy a computer (if one existed which it doesn't) with the hardware and specs that I want. I can build the identicle system for around half that cost and not put more "good money" into someone else's pocket for things I don't want just because it is easy.

As for windows 7 being "old technology" who cares. It works just like XP still works on one of my older systems. You talk about security issues with windows 7 ... maybe you should take a closer look at windows 10 ;)

"...It's not a question of whether the CPU supports the Operating System. Rather the question is; does the Operating System support/recognize the CPU and motherboard architecture..."

Fair enough, in that case - is windows 7 recognized by the CPU I am looking at? Some people say it is, all I want is confirmation of that and nothing more.

Did you like Cyrix? I thought they were a good alternative, but the Pentium hype all but killed them. Advertising is more powerful than results. "it's what inside". Apple is a perfect example.

For my money when I was building PCs AMD was to hit or miss. I did not like making free service calls to my customers for warranty work. I never had a single Intel processor fail to do the job.

What is Cyrix? I have not heard of them before.

Not sure what you are saying abut Apple but for my money, Apples OS is far far more stable and secure than anything microsucks has or (probably ever will) produce. Yes, they are expensive, even over priced - but what price do you put on stability and security? To be honest, I'd buy an Apple computer (off the shelf) tomorrow if it wern't for the fact that I can't run some of my programs on an apple system. If I could, I would have trashed microsucks a decade ago.

The other point, that hasn't been raised is the alternatives of operating systems now available, not the least being Linux. Once again though, that OS doesn't seem to like some of microsucks programs and unfortunately they are the programs I have and want to keep.

I sort of agree with you where AMD is concerned. Years ago, possibly 15 or so, I did build an AMD system and had problems with it. Way back then it didn't perform as well as an Intel system. That was 15 or so years ago though, now it may well be different.

Bottom line for me, with regards this thread is simple - if anyone wants to discuss the virtues of windows 10 or anything else other than the question asked, please start another thread and go for it.

Cyrix CPUs rivaled Intel in the 90s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrix

Apple - twice the price, half the power. Check the architecture if you don't believe me. Read why Steve Wozniak left, not the polite stuff he tends to say, but the truth he has admitted to. Steve jobs was a robber baron, albeit a brilliant marketer.

Apple's stability is due to limited capability. Juggling 2 balls is easier then 3 or more.

Never heard of Microsucks.

If you read my final sentence of my previous post you see it was right in line with the thread.

Any other disagreements; chalk them up to fake news and let it ride.

I won't interject any further into this thread, just tired to help, no offense intended.

On the AMD vs Intel debate, what I've learned over the years is AMD makes great processors for desktop computers. They historically have generated a great deal more heat while operating than comparable Intel products. In a desktop computer, it is not such a problem, and they do a great job in that capacity. In a laptop, however, the extra heat generated tends to become a problem. I've had several AMD-equipped laptops, and they always bring to mind a mental picture of a branding iron on my lap.

This conversation is way over my head and is making me feel stupid, Tony! I love you, man!

(I'm hoping that everyone understands that this post is intended as some levity, although truer words have never been spoken!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

Don't feel stupid mate, I didn't know about this microsucks/intel thing until I went looking for the components to build my wife's new computer.

I'd think this post is only relevant if you intend building your own system or buy an off the shelf new one with the intention of installing something other windows 10.

Did you like Cyrix?
You know..., now that you mention it, it might have been a Cyrix processor in the e-tower rather than an AMD. But now I really don't recall - 1991 was a long time ago. I know I never went out of my way to use them.

I do remember our first servers we built with quad Pentium chips in them. We joked that they could double as a 4 burner stove top.

I do remember our first servers we built with quad Pentium chips in them. We joked that they could double as a 4 burner stove top.
I had that issue with some of the original single core Celerons. I think they used dual core Pentiums that failed in testing with one core turned oiff as Celerons, and overclocked them to make up for their deficient performance. I think AMD did something similar with their Semprons.

Back