Insulated boxcar 50' questions (ATSF) HO scale

Yannis

Hi all,

Before ordering something wrong or arranging my kit-bashed brewery's* doors in such a way, i concluded-decided that 50' insulated boxcars should be ideal for outgoing loads of beer in a mid-sixties setting. On the bottling plant of my brewery with a minor alteration, the warehouse doors match up perfectly to 3x 50' cars (6 cars total in two parallel tracks). So based on this and the relevant research i have done i am settled on using 50' insulated cars (SFRB type, bunkerless) for outgoing loads of bottled/canned beer. (i might add some 50' mechanical refrigerator cars at some point for draft beer and use on occasion plain slide door boxcars for short-distance deliveries).

I am thinking of using the 5800** series Accurail plug-door insulated boxcars as a basis for SFRB series plug door insulated cars for beer transport in a mid-sixties theme. The idea is to add roofwalks, high ladders, move the brake wheel in the upper position and make modifications to the lower part (under-frame/lower-frame) of the car depending on the RR- class i intend to depict (ie rr57 vs rr64 or rr73 etc...), as well as adding up required details based on photographic references.

It all looks ok to my eyes but i would like to double check what i have read/concluded and thus i would very much appreciate your opinion on this.

*I have progressed in the brewery's construction in the last month and hope to take some decent pictures in the next few days in order to post a relevant thread.

**The sides of the various classes as well as car-ends and roofs look almost the same to my eyes (8 panels on each side of the door etc...) and appear to be a close match to the 5800 series Accurail cars.

Many thanks for your input/help
Yannis

Santa Fe started removing the roof walks from the RR57 cars, which are the Accurail cars, in April 1966. The "Ship and Travel" logo remained until 1972 or so. These cars are accurate for the time frame 1966-1972. Leave them unweathered and they would pass for cars in your time frame.
A mid-60's brewery would have used 50' cars, but a brewery built before the mid-50's would probably have doors spaced for 40' cars.
Willie

Many thanks Willie,

I was thinking of adding up roofwalks/ladders and backdate the Accurail car to 1964-65. My hope is to depict RR-57, RR-63, RR-64/68 and RR-73 by doing the appropriate modifications using styrene, to the Accurail base-kit as long as sides/roof/ends are ok (they look ok, as i said to my eyes, the lower part of the car differs).

With respect to the brewery, good call on mentioning the before-50s spacing. I guess it would make more sense to re-arrange doors in the brewery and depict the changes with bricked up portions where the old doors were, than to use 40' reefers instead of 50' RBLs. Right?

Again many thanks Willie!

I really cannot answer regarding re-arranging and bricking in that era. I would think that it's really just up to your whims and space. On my layout I have one building with 40' spacing for four doors and I just bricked off two of them, and use the other two and leave space between the boxcars.
Willie

Willie,

I remeasured and it seems that spacing for 50' boxcars is a 1-way road for me. Trying to match doors to 40' cars ends up with a not-so-good alignment. So i ll just go for the 50' spacing.

With respect to the 5800 Accurail series, i hope i am correct in my assumptions/conclusions-project idea.

Yannis

Back