Input Voltage of Woodland Scenics LED Lamposts

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Can anyone confirm what the input voltage are the Woodland Scenic's lamp post lights operating at?

Thanks.

Greg

Can anyone confirm what the input voltage are the Woodland Scenic's lamp post lights operating at?
If these are the "just plug lighting system" type lamps it is 24VDC.

From their web site:
Woodland Scenics Just Plug™ Lighting System

The Just Plug Lighting System is a complete, quick and easy way to add realism and interest to new and existing layouts and other projects. No electrical knowledge or special tools needed. Just plug and you're done! Individual bulb brightness can be controlled, and the modular design allows for easy expansion.

Power Supply The transformer powers up to 50 lights and connects to Light Hub or Expansion Hub. Includes 1 Power Supply with 48 inch cable and instructions. Input: 120VAC, 60Hz; output: 24VDC, 1000mA. UL Listed. Woodland Scenics JP5770.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Horseman:

I saw the voltage out for the power supply for the LED's from Woodland, but the power supply connects to a Lighting Hub and the individual LED fixture are then plugged into the Lighting Hub. The Hub has individual rheostats to control the intensity of the LED's. I'm not sure if they is or are dropping resistors within the Hub.

I use may may a test plug with leads small enough to reach into the light fixture connector and use my ammeter to test the voltage.

Greg

I saw the voltage out for the power supply for the LED's from Woodland, but the power supply connects to a Lighting Hub and the individual LED fixture are then plugged into the Lighting Hub. The Hub has individual rheostats to control the intensity of the LED's. I'm not sure if they is or are dropping resistors within the Hub.
So you trying to figure out how to use the lamps without a hub?

Iron Horseman:

I like the looks of the Woodland Scenic LED products and installed some of their wooded lamp poles and lighted vehicles on the layout. Their system is easy to wire, but pricey when you need a transformer, Lighting Hubs, Extension Hubs and extension cables. I plan on lighting two industrial areas, buildings and poles and want to use my own buss wiring and avoid the Woodlands extras. Hopefully get the right voltage to balance out the LED outputs.

Greg

I plan on lighting two industrial areas, buildings and poles and want to use my own buss wiring and avoid the Woodlands extras. Hopefully get the right voltage to balance out the LED outputs.
Do you currently have an accessory bus or are you making a new one just for this?

The supply should be easy enough to figure out. Put a new lamp in series with a 1K resistor connected to a known 12V power supply. See if they light to the desired brightness. If they do, it means the lamps are raw LEDs. If they don't light or are dim that means they have a built in resistor of some sort.

Iron Horseman:

I intended to install a accessory buss for the LED lighting since the buildings are localized along a background. I'll test the LED's to see what to determine the type of the LED's.

Thanks.

Greg

Back