Input on new layout, and new member

Brewkett

long time listener first time caller. Working on new layout part 4.
I rebuilding a failed attempt on layout number 3, I'm working in a spare room, roughly 11x11, and using around the room shelf style. Originally had a duck under at the door, and after many contacts with my back and a few choice words, it needs to go. I found a plan on CADRAIL samples I like "double day" It fits with what I have to work with, and makes use of a dog bone style so I don't have a duck under.
I'm modeling in the 1930-14940's era, I like the old billboard refers and small steam engines, Mostly Rio Grande and Santa Fe.
I have a lot of Kato Uni track in HO, but was also considering using dual HO and HON3 narrow gauge as I would love to collect Rio Grande narrow gauge. From what I can tell this plan uses mostly 18" and 20" radi curves so I should be there, just not sure on grade on the cross over, can't seem to find any info on that. Only big concern I have is the 4x4 sections at each end, will I have any major problems with reach as the layout will be against the wall. I'm going to try and make a lift out section (marked in green) on both end parts.
Any recommendations?
double day plan view 1.png
Layout1.jpg

lOriginally had a duck under at the door, and after many contacts with my back
Ouch. We have a walk under at the museum which my head has had a few arguments with.

I like "double day" It fits with what I have to work with, and makes use of a dog bone style so I don't have a duck under.
I'm modeling in the 1930-1940's era, I like the old billboard refers and small steam engines, Mostly Rio Grande and Santa Fe.
Technically I would call that a water-wings rather than a dog bone, but that is just terminology. I really like it too because there aren't any tracks that run along parallel to the edges of the bench. It has industries that face both directions. What it doesn't have is a run around track anywhere, such that a locomotive could get around to the back of the train (well without going around the whole loop).

I have a lot of Kato Uni track in HO, but was also considering using dual HO and HON3 narrow gauge as I would love to collect Rio Grande narrow gauge.
Careful there. I have found that many HOn3 locomotives require larger radius curves then their standard gauge cousins. I believe Blackstone C-19 can navigate an 18".

Only big concern I have is the 4x4 sections at each end, will I have any major problems with reach as the layout will be against the wall. I'm going to try and make a lift out section (marked in green) on both end parts.
Any recommendations?
I don't think the 4x4 section just in the door will be an issue since only 1 part of it is against the wall. For the other corner perhaps instead of a center lift out, you could just make a triangle access hole against the two walls. It would be harder to use, but if you keep the track simple there, after it is built the access would only be needed for cleaning and derailment repair. Well,... should have made it larger in the image 2 below. As shown is tiny.

double day 2.jpg

room.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of adding in a run around track, I should be able to add that pretty easy.....
I'll half to consider the triangle access hatch - sounds like it may be easier to use over a lift out section

As much as I would love to collect some Colorado narrow gauge equipment, and I love the K36 with the outside frame and counterweights swinging, not sure I want to jump into that due to cost of the equipment. I can get a few spectrum ten wheelers for the cost of Blackstone K-27, or C-19, not to mention the cost of track and switches to do dual gauge.... I am considering switching to flex track though, as the cost of Kato Untrack I would need to finish this layout would cost more than the flex track.

I think it looks terrific...especially that the track doesn't follow the exact edge of the structure. It gives it a little more pizzaz IMO. there can be a fine line between trying to use too much track, and having some self control and understanding that it isn't necessary. Looks like you have room for adding a few sidings and so forth in the future if you wish.

I'm with the others, the biggest attraction for me is the fact that the plan doesn't follow the bench work edges. It is an interesting plan with a lot of possibilities along the way.

On the Horseman's plan, how about a passing siding on the right peninsula, around the curve? That way you can run 2 trains, perhaps.

Back