Inflation?

Looks like HH made about $71 million last year and employs about 500 people. That averages out to about $142K per person but we know some aren't paid that much and some are paid more.
When ya stretch the $71 million over 500 employees, the expense of operating several plants state side and oversees and whatever else needs to be paid for, that profit margin starts getting pretty small. I would venture to guess HH's profit is in the 5 - 8 % return on investment at best.
Definitely not gouging if ya ask me.

There is a huge difference in the basic principles of economics, versus how the principles combine into economic systems. Unfortunately in common speaking people refer to both as simply "economics". The basic principles (what I call economics 101) include things that are, as NP2626 says, a reality and include things like supply and demand, price that the market will bear, cost vs benefit, pricing ceilings and floors, the drive to zero profit, etc. Economic systems gets into currencies, credit, forms of government (capitalism vs communism vs etc.), and how much the government does or does not do things to effect and change the natural ebb and flow and cycles of economic trends. Yes this latter form of economics is an infinite bundle that is not science, is greatly impacted by politics and culture, and which is why economics majors have lots of fodder for PhD dissertations.

Sounds like I should have bought and read the sophomore books as well. :)

So, if you are tired of and want to get away from all the "WHINING", here is a method for you This method of avoiding threads I don't like; or, don't give a Rat's "Patoot" about, is to not post in them! This sounds like a very simple "FIX" for this problem, to me!

You know the people who founded this Country, where "WHINERS", they where dissatisfied with how things where and complained to each other about what they disliked. They where the "Movers and Shakers" who got things done and eventually created this country. The people who didn't complain and where satisfied with things; or, happy with the "Status Quo", wanted to keep the British Monarchy in control!

It's obvious to me that in reality, you love to "Whine" just as much as everyone else! You just like to take the opposite tack, so there are two sides to a too "WHINE" about!

You know the people who founded this Country, where "WHINERS", they where dissatisfied with how things where and complained to each other about what they disliked. They where the "Movers and Shakers" who got things done and eventually created this country. The people who didn't complain and where satisfied with things; or, happy with the "Status Quo", wanted to keep the British Monarchy in control!
Thank you! Could not have said it better myself. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. If you want change, you have to ask for it and usually ask for it loudly. No one just comes along and hands things to you. The people who are satisfied with the "Status Quo" are usually the ones who benefit from it the most.

So, if you are tired of and want to get away from all the "WHINING", here is a method for you This method of avoiding threads I don't like; or, don't give a Rat's "Patoot" about, is to not post in them! This sounds like a very simple "FIX" for this problem, to me!

It's obvious to me that in reality, you love to "Whine" just as much as everyone else! You just like to take the opposite tack, so there are two sides to a too "WHINE" about!
Actually, it is my job to do that, to increase posting activity, rather than letting threads stagnate. If nobody responded with any different opinions, it would be a lot shorter thread here than the current 91 posts it has reached.
Weren’t you complaining a few weeks ago that nobody posts anything outside the coffee Shop?

Actually, it is my job to do that, to increase posting activity, rather than letting threads stagnate. If nobody responded with any different opinions, it would be a lot shorter thread here than the current 91 posts it has reached.
Weren’t you complaining a few weeks ago that nobody posts anything outside the coffee Shop?

Yes, I did, as I am a born complainer!

While on the subject of whining, I used to accept my responsibility and never complained. Found myself doing more and more, while the criers had less to do and more time off. To bring this in line with the topic, as long as we quietly pay the asking price for our toys, the price of our toys will continue to increase, but once we say enough, and sales decline, "they" will get the message...or not. :rolleyes:

Boris

That kinda looks right in print Boris, but in reality, just desire or hope doesn't change the cost of running a business. Not saying that I enjoy paying a lot for my toys, but if I want good stuff, I'll have to decide between chrome for the Harley or toys for my empire.

Looks like HH made about $71 million last year and employs about 500 people. That averages out to about $142K per person but we know some aren't paid that much and some are paid more.
When ya stretch the $71 million over 500 employees, the expense of operating several plants state side and oversees and whatever else needs to be paid for, that profit margin starts getting pretty small. I would venture to guess HH's profit is in the 5 - 8 % return on investment at best.
Definitely not gouging if ya ask me.
Depends on the capitalization, but generally I wouldn't invest in a company with a return like that. But this jumps off the economics and into finance. Another class I wish they would teach in and require to graduate from high school.

Depends on the capitalization, but generally I wouldn't invest in a company with a return like that. But this jumps off the economics and into finance. Another class I wish they would teach in and require to graduate from high school.

Huh?

1. HH is privately owned right? Wouldn't rely on those figures as being gospel, but if they are, I would have to agree.
2. Definitely agree that Economics and Finance should be in the HS curriculum.
Boris

hat kinda looks right in print Boris, but in reality, just desire or hope doesn't change the cost of running a business

No, it depends on what it actually costs to run that business. The more it costs, the higher the base price. That's a given. However, the cost of running a household also affects the ability to buy a product. Whether that product is Chrome for the Harley, A Brass locomotive or an Apple X phone.

Boris

Back