Incorporating A Jack Post Column In The Layout

I used stealth paint from Woodland Scenics.

0813191102a.jpg

Update:

Welcome

To get everyone up to speed, about a year ago, I started rebuilding my layout. The plan was to double it's size.
I had a 4x8 and was going to build another 4x8 table and turn it 90° to form a "L". But I had a problem with a
jack post column. No matter which way I positioned the layout, the column was going to be in between the
two tables. So I needed to incorporate it in my layout. That led me to post this thread for ideas from other Forum
Members. All of the ideas were viable, except maybe Sherrel's Devils Tower and Tim Langs tornado. :):) I really
appreciated the humor, but realistically a little out of place for my layout.

Before I could work on the column, I had to connect the two tables. There's a 18" gap between the them.
And here's the post column.

QyKSYR3.jpg

I'm making this gap into a creek.

qbBllZN.jpg

HsUBJtF.jpg

I decided to make the post column into a grain bin. I have a grain elevator to the left of the column and
across the tracks. So it was logical to disguise the column as a bin.
The column is actually in the creek. So, I'm constructing a round "pier" for the grain bin to rest on.

VXXknSj.jpg

0rCgHWi.jpg

EL10JLf.jpg

My decision was a culmination of Forum Member suggestions and this prototype

cPCHvex.png

This proto is 12 miles northeast of Pittsburgh on the Allegheny River. It was a barge transfer facility.
A clamshell bucket crane or long-arm excavator sat on the platform unloading barges.
Of course, my adaption is the post column disguised as a grain bin.

The next to last picture is my current construction. I plan on finishing the column/bin in 3 or 4 weeks and will
post updates every few days.
I hope you enjoy this continued thread and come back again.
Thanks . . . Jim

Last edited:
JazzDad - I thought about that, but then I'd have to deal with the EPA and pollution regulations.
And when I'd go upstairs, the smoke would follow and I would have to deal with a more powerful agency -
my wife. She would then tell me what I could do with that smoke stack! :eek:;) lol

Willie - Thanks for the comment! The build is coming along, but not at the speed you work. I'd be happy at half
your speed -----► zoom ! ;):D lol

Ken - I have to get some of that stealth paint ! ;)

Last edited:
i have a post on my layout .. it's in the wide open, part of a penninsula, so no backdrop ..
but i found painting it the same colour as the ground made it 'disappear', the ground cover was a sandy gray colour ..

wvg-ca • the color does make it blend in. Not sticking out like a sore thumb. Looks real good!
I like how the post forces the tracks around it. It looks a lot better than running parallel to the wall.
You have a real nice layout! Thanks for the reply and posting the photo!

actually the post is only by itself .. the wall goes on from the sky backdrop, as in the woodgrain wall runs straight along the sky backdrop.. this photo is about a third of the layout, you can see the switches for the power districts off to the left ..
this was taken maybe six years ago or so ..not today, lol ..
but thanks:)

Here's a update photo . . .

8zofbKz.jpg

Next - I'll start constructing the grain bin. It will be similar to this one.
I'll post another update photo/s tomorrow or the day after. Thanks for stopping by!

wzCGbvr.jpg

actually the post is only by itself .. the wall goes on from the sky backdrop, as in the woodgrain wall runs straight along the sky backdrop.. this photo is about a third of the layout, you can see the switches for the power districts off to the left ..
this was taken maybe six years ago or so ..not today, lol ..
but thanks:)

Actually, I would like to see the other two-thirds!

Back