Incline/Decline 'foam risers', Variable Grade Creation

it's quite easy to move a foam riser, if it's not exactly where wanted ....
not so easy with cookie cutter style ...
I don't see it that way. The foam wedges get glued down to the flat board, no ? And Sub-RB gets glued on top of the foam risers. With open grid it's easy to remove some, or all the screwed-in risers and SRB and still have the original flat surface back, if you want. And no glue is involved. Then there's the cost difference.
The way I see it is, since the early '50s, L girder and open grid have worked very well. So, naturally someone had to fix it...

well, i found it easy to make minor adjustments without resorting to a skilsaw ...i didn't use sub roadbed, or even any roadbed for that matter .. it's been six years now that it's been together, and no problems .. only a fifteen by sixteen foot size , but lots of elevation changes ..
if i had to do it again, i would go exactly the same way [with foam] again .. to each their own, lol ..
they have made SOME improvements since the 50's... if you want to stay 70 years ago, that's okay too .....

I don't see it that way. The foam wedges get glued down to the flat board, no ? And Sub-RB gets glued on top of the foam risers. With open grid it's easy to remove some, or all the screwed-in risers and SRB and still have the original flat surface back, if you want. And no glue is involved. Then there's the cost difference.
The way I see it is, since the early '50s, L girder and open grid have worked very well. So, naturally someone had to fix it...
well, i found it easy to make minor adjustments without resorting to a skilsaw ...i didn't use sub roadbed, or even any roadbed for that matter .. it's been six years now that it's been together, and no problems .. only a fifteen by sixteen foot size , but lots of elevation changes ..
if i had to do it again, i would go exactly the same way [with foam] again .. to each their own, lol ..
they have made SOME improvements since the 50's... if you want to stay 70 years ago, that's okay too .....

OK ... It is time for "U - Guys" to draw a line in the sand! LOL
I'm "old school" - but to each his own - and both of you have good points.

My former layout was built "L girder" style with 1/4 inch spline roadbed - it was a dream with easement curves and all; but, sigh, that was a lonnnng time ago.

Could the foam risers degrade after any years of exposure to the environment?

Just an idea....?

Greg

i actually don't know about long term ... mine is six years built, probably eight years since made ...
it's -probably- okay, they were designed to be insulation that stays in place for quite a few decades, don't think there is too much direct sunlight though, not sure about that ..
i actually don't know what the WS risers are made of, all my experience is with 2x8 or 4x8 sheets of the blue/pink/green stuff .. i know the white 'beadboard' stuff doesn't last very long in the open air ..

My layout is an all-foam cookie-cutter construction. The sub-roadbed is 3/4-inch blue foam. I cut the pink foam risers on a miter saw.

My layout is N-scale, but I was inspired by an HO layout that uses the same construction method.

- Jeff

grades_1024.jpg

subroadbed_cross_section1.png

it's quite easy to move a foam riser, if it's not exactly where wanted ....
not so easy with cookie cutter style ...

Agreed, and in my particular case I have no other framing members under my plywood decks to attach multiple risers to.

Back