In need of expert advice....

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Now my Royal Pacific is coming together, I am thinking about weathering the roof's of at least the first couple of cars to reflect the smoke and soot coming from the 4-6-2.

I am apprehensive to try anything in case I screw it up so could use some advice on the best way to achieve a soot/dirty roof.

It's been many years since I weathered mine, but it was fairly easy. They were a medium dark grey to start with, and I just used a black overspray, intentionally allowing it to splatter and sputter a bit, so it was spotty rather than even. I tried to do the whole thing as subtle as possible, and to make the spatters really fine rather than big blobs. It looked pretty good, was barely noticeable unless you compared an un-weathered car.

Sounds like what I had in mind. Might give it a go and see what happens, just might have to re do the roof at worse.

Before I do this I want to make sure I have the car placement in the train correct. I know the Observation Car is probably the last in line but is there any particular order for the rest?

Last edited:
I have both Ken, but never had much success with the chalk. Your right though, if that screws up it is easy to clean off and start again.

Your also right in that "sloppy is good" in this case. My problem, if using the chalk which I am very tempted to try again, is how do you get it to "stick"? Every time I've tried it I've used dull coat to cover and seal it in place; however, all that does is blow it every where other than where the chalk is need.

So, any tips on how to apply the chalk powder and keep it where it needs to be?

After a little research how does this combination look ...

Motive Power
RPO(s)
Coach Cars
Dinner
Sleeper Car(s)
Observation

It varied from railroad to railroad, but generally

Motive Power
RPO(s)
Baggage cars
Coach Cars
Diner
Lounge Car
Open Section Sleepers
Sleeper Car(s)
Observation

Obviously not every train (or even most) had all of those.

Okay so I checked my chalks and every one of my black and grays are gone! Why wouldn't they be :( So can someone suggest good, if not the best, weathering chalk/powders I can buy please.

I recalled a product I had seen before from "Bragdon Enterprises". I am led to believe that this stuff is excellent. Anyone use it and what do you think about it.

Last edited:
If you are intending to have this train as modern excursion train, then most of it, the coaches in particular, would be kept pretty clean, even the steamer would likely only have some water staining marks. The roofs of the head end cars too would only be lightly tarnished.

There probably would not be an RPO and depending on the length of the journey, maybe 1 Baggage or/and Baggage/Dorm for crew breaks. Otherwise the concentration would be on coaches, and an Obs, or preferably a Business car with the open rear platform. Cafe/Lounge for short trips, plus a Diner for longer. Sleepers would only be required for overnighters.

If you use "real" weathering powders instead of chalk, you do not need to use dull coat over the powder. Powders such as those from Bragdon, AIM or Pan Pastel all contain fixatives that makes the powders adhere to the surface that they are applied to. That surface needs to have a clear dull coat (or gloss), or painted surface to begin with; they do not stick to bare plastic very well. I cannot comment on cars that might be subject to a lot of handling. I dust off my weathered freight cars about once every four years or so with a 1" soft paintbrush without any noticeable effect on the weathering. I personally use the AIM brand of powders, primarily because that's what my LHS owner recommended. I use "Set A" which has four colors, light and dark rust, grimy black and medium earth.
http://monroemodels.us/aim.weathering.htm
These powders have basically made the use of chalk obsolete. Other brands are probably just as effective.

Willie

Thanks for the input guys and I have ordered a few of the Bragdon Weathering Powders so I will see how they go. If they don't work for me I'll definitely try the AIM powders.

Toot'n,

Good point about the trains being kept clean ... I'll certainly limit what I do.

Back