I'm going to have to make one of these!

Heck make two, I want one now!
Cool video, thanx!

BTW how does he know my uncle Bob?

During the hours and hours I spent gluing my roadbed down and then the track to the roadbed I never once hit anything with a hammer. ;)

Seriously though it seems to me that the rubber band is not really needed - just the inner "driver" part and the outer "guide" part. Fix some sort of knob or handle to the inner part and arrange things so the inner part cannot protrude past the bottom of the outer part. Position the outer part around the nail and push down all they way.

Yes? No?

Frederick

During the hours and hours I spent gluing my roadbed down and then the track to the roadbed I never once hit anything with a hammer. ;)

Seriously though it seems to me that the rubber band is not really needed - just the inner "driver" part and the outer "guide" part. Fix some sort of knob or handle to the inner part and arrange things so the inner part cannot protrude past the bottom of the outer part. Position the outer part around the nail and push down all they way.

Yes? No?

Frederick
The only problem with that might be if you are trying to drive into plywood as the guy in the video was. Just pushing might be enough to drive the nail? Not sure. Seems simple enough to make, though. I might have to give that a try today.

And that’s the reason I lay my track on cork or homasote board...I can just push the nail in with the tip of some needle-nose pliers. Why does this gentleman feel the need to drive the nails into the plywood when he can push them into his cork roadbed?

The nail goes through the cork into the ply. I have track on plywood, foam, cork bed on ply, cork bed on foam and foam bed on straight up pine boards. I have glued track, nailed track, spiked track... Admittedly, using ONE method would be best, I know, but having options for different areas is also a good thing. I didn't have the solid brass I needed to make one the other day, but I still might.

Back