Identifying a part

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
From a picture I took years ago. What is the thing circled in red on this engine? Any ideas??? Someone suggested an external dynamic brake unit.

Inked64723804_2186458454978287_7543489226491297792_n_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I've worked on equipment that had air filtration systems that looked like that, could maybe be?

They do look like air filters. We have some real big ones like that on our refueler trucks at work.

It's something that was added after the engine was sold to Vulken Materials. I've seen photos of it from that time, and they weren't there.

Vulcan Materials was a chemical supplier\manufacturer. They are solely an aggregate producer (gravel\sand\crushed stone. They used to manufacture chemicals but sold that part of the business 14 years ago. We have one of their former plants in Wichita. They manufacture chlorine, caustic soda and ethylene dichloride.

Last edited:
I thought they looked like lp gas meters, any chance they would have converted the fuel over? Sounds like a longshot but check out the smokestack and also the fuel tank.

In some industrial applications lp is preferred if indoor use is expected, all our lift trucks run on lp gas due to being run indoors.

It is still a diesel, the fuel fill is just behind the air tank, visible between the trucks.

Vulcan Materials was a chemical supplier\manufacturer. They are solely an aggregate producer (gravel\sand\crushed stone.
Given that information, working in that sort of dusty environment, heavy duty air cleaners for the motor, possibly for the crew as well.

Maybe an email with our question to the railroad could answer our questions....I would email them, but I will be without internet service for awhile.

They have a website.

Greg

engine air filters makes sense ... they are too big for A/C filters, and dynamic brakes don't need filters ..
I -assume- that they are prefilters for the main filter housing on top of the engine ..

Back