Ideas needed for layout Corn in Nebraska

Ceresco2063

We just got back from a local train show, and the wife is all set to make her little Nebraska town on the layout. She found everything she needed to replicate our 'farm' and close to her little hometown in NE Nebraska. Now being in Nebraska we have an issue. You can readily find Z and HO guage 'cornfields' but no N, ideas on how to replicate cornfields. I am using corderoy for soybeans, but stuck on ideas for corn, green mid/late season, not late season brown.

Train show was fun, found a lot of D&H equipment for the North East part of the layout, some great ideas on terraining, and a lot of the simple things that bring a layout to life. We are having a great time building this together.

Problem is there are no suppliers of N-Guage 'corn', HO and Z sure, N no. HO is too large, Z too small. Still looking, right now I am down to cutting down to individual rows of a natural fiber 'rug' that I found at home depot, and dieing it green.

There was an article in either N Scale or NSR a few months back that discussed n scale crops. They were using things like your corduroy soybean field. It seems like they used some sort of foam packing material that they cut and painted to simulate a corn field. The pictures included didn't look too bad. I'll try to find the article tonight.

Just a few weeks ago I went to the big show in Springfield mass and scenery express had a great demo guy making standing grass and rocks pretty much non stop all weekend

They sell a yellow grass product and what you do is lay down a square patch of whatever tack glue your using (like 1 part white glue and 3 or 4 parts water)

Then you need to use a tool they sell for like $130?

You lay down a bunch of evenly based bamboo sticks normally used for skewering food on grill then you lay down the yellow grass material using the static machine/dispenser and all of the grass pretty much lands standing straight out

Then you take away the skewers and you have super realistic looking crops

You can use any colored materials for different effects

I certainly don't work for them, my club was just setup nearby and I saw the demo half a dozen times

Matthew

I found the article and it was actually in the october 2012 issue of Model Railroader....I guess I was thrown because the title was "modeling fields in N scale".

Back