I stepped in it now. New Layout due April 15th.

Iron Horseman

For years I've been saying we needed a model railroad in the office. Now, as we are just finishing a re-model the boss wants a model railroad. Not just a model railroad but one that is front and center as clients enter the building.

So now I have a budget of $4500 to make this showcase. I think I can do that. The real problem is there is a corporate board meeting to be held here on April 19th. We are showing off our "new" digs. He wants the railroad done before then. It usually takes me that long to come up with a track plan.

It has to be current day equipment so 18" radius and 40' box cars are not even a consideration. It has to be attractive and but not overpowering or distracting from our work area.

Has to be free standing.

Prototypical look is essential but no ops orientation at all.

I've decided on a space about 7' x 12'.

Can't decide if water wings, or simple donut twice around w/scenic divider, or something else entirely is the way to go. Think I would like one visible passing siding. Staging to put trains made up specifically for each visiting client.

Anyone have any ideas ......

See what is readily available to meet the dead line. other than that, I got no clue.

I will say; good people do their best under pressure. I'm betting you get it done!

What's the old saying? Careful what you wish for. For advice on how to "Get'er done!", HOexplorer's the one to see.

What does your company do?

I say do the donut with the divider. That way you can do separate environments as well.

What's the old saying? Careful what you wish for. For advice on how to "Get'er done!", HOexplorer's the one to see.
When I kept saying we needed a model railroad I was thinking more like a recreational activity for the employees along with the Ping-Pong table etc...

When I kept saying we needed a model railroad I was thinking more like a recreational activity for the employees along with the Ping-Pong table etc...

That's a bit like the old British Army tale of the Captain who sent a message to headquarters, down the line by word of mouth, asking for reinforcements. He got back 3 Shillings and Fourpence.

There is a Modelrailroad store in Toronto called Credit Valley Railroad, in their store they have a layout that is very nice and what is very unique about this layout is almost all structures and details can be purchased in the store , so for example if you see a bridge , the bridge will have a manufacture label etc on a tag . Here is the blog for it if you want to take a look http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.ca/2014/09/credit-valley-railway-great-canadian.html

I think you should consider if there are any specifics that you would like to show/promote with the layout scenic-wise. Urban, rural, which part(s) of the country etc.

For 7'x12' i would probably go simple oval with scenic divider and probably double-track and maybe let the two tracks deviate from each other at some parts for visual variety.

Looking forward to see how this pans out. Best of luck!

FWIW, I'd make the trackplan as simple as possible. Forget the 'fiddle yard.' Place the equipment on the mainline before the clients get there, and have it running when they show up. Scenery should be nice and well done. Have a siding for your company, as well as the client. The sign on the client's building should be changeable without much fuss. Have a vacant lot on the layout with a sign 'will build to suit.' If you have any buildings on the layout, they should be 'built ups,' as building from kits would take too long.

'Good Luck, Jim!'

I think you should consider if there are any specifics that you would like to show/promote with the layout scenic-wise. Urban, rural, which part(s) of the country etc.
Yes have been pondering that. I was thinking rural Colorado just because of the cost in both time and effort for the structures that would be needed for an urban environment.

For 7'x12' i would probably go simple oval with scenic divider and probably double-track and maybe let the two tracks deviate from each other at some parts for visual variety.
I was thinking that as well. I am also considering widening one side to 9' so it isn't a rectangle. I've also been considering a twice around so there can be a trestle crossing, Also maybe a folded asymmetric figure-8.

There is a Modelrailroad store in Toronto called Credit Valley Railroad, in their store they have a layout that is very nice and what is very unique about this layout is almost all structures and details can be purchased in the store , so for example if you see a bridge , the bridge will have a manufacture label etc on a tag . Here is the blog for it if you want to take a look http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.ca/2014/09/credit-valley-railway-great-canadian.html
I will check that out.

FWIW, I'd make the trackplan as simple as possible. Forget the 'fiddle yard.' Place the equipment on the mainline before the clients get there, and have it running when they show up. Scenery should be nice and well done. Have a siding for your company, as well as the client. The sign on the client's building should be changeable without much fuss. Have a vacant lot on the layout with a sign 'will build to suit.' If you have any buildings on the layout, they should be 'built ups,' as building from kits would take too long.
There are some thoughts to ponder. I wasn't really thinking of a fiddle yard but more just a yard where a whole train of the clients would sit. I was worried about off layout storage but that is not an issue as it can just be underneath. The client/siding is a good idea except all our clients are railroads rather than someone needing to ship things, hence the -- choose one -- CSX train on the layout.

How about some sort of CSX warehouse, or transload facility? Or a detached(from the railroad, i.e., no siding) industry being serviced by a CSX container truck?

Regarding the 'fiddle yard,' I must have misunderstood your post. How about a car repair shop of some sort(getting the freight cars back to earning money)?

Keep us posted, and good luck!

After working almost all weekend on it I am down to a couple track plans. One a twice around with a couple hidden staging tracks. Unfortunately that makes the scenic elements harder, especially since the "parallel" tracks are grading the opposite directions. The other a simple loop. Used a river to get the bridges in. Don't like the coal mine so close to anything, but don't know how else to situate it and it is so easy to do a mine.
Apparently didn't draw the lines dark enough to scan it in easily.
Both have minimum radius of 28" on main. Any comments, thoughts?
layout1.png
layout2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the top plan mate, has a lot of character and interest, especially with the tunnel and the additional room that'll give for scenery on top of it. I'd go with Plan No:1, but that's just me.

Where as I'd go with plan two. But that's just because I like bridges and water. :D

KB02,

Hmm that's a good point ... okay so in Plan 1 there is one bridge (right hand side of the plan) what if Horseman threw in some water some where, say in the bottom right hand corner?

One other thing I might be inclined to do is to perhaps have a passing track the length of the straight running past the station. You could then do as you thought, have a stationary train, specific for a client perhaps, at the station as though it was waiting for the client to return, and still have a continuous running train to maintain interest. Something like this:

bWhcQmP.png

I like Plan 1 for the tunnel as it adds a little mystique to the layout but I also very much like bridges and water as well.

One other thing I might be inclined to do is to perhaps have a passing track the length of the straight running past the station. You could then do as you thought, have a stationary train, specific for a client perhaps, at the station as though it was waiting for the client to return, and still have a continuous running train to maintain interest.
That is sort of what the track just above the station (where the mine comes off) was for. As large as this space is I'm leery of over crowding it. Could sweep the inside track in more and make it single, and move the "siding" down to the station track

I like Plan 1 for the tunnel as it adds a little mystique to the layout but I also very much like bridges and water as well.
I thought about running a stream down behind the mine and out the existing bridge as well as a bridge on the lower track. Then I thought a bridge almost over another bridge could be a bit strange. A bridge over a swamp could be interesting in that corner save two problems. There aren't many swamps in Colorado and the topography would not be logical for a swamp.

Tomorrow I'm going to tape the size out on the floor and make certain the boss (aka president of the company) approves of the size as it will be right outside his office door and he will have to walk around it every day to get into his office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horseman,

Not a problem, was just thinking out aloud and considering my track record with track plans - I know you'll come up with something, if you haven't all ready.

Back