i need alot of the red brick styrene cheap

Lab Rat

19 and crazy
I am going to be working on an old foundry and i ill need alot of curragated and alot of the red brick styrene where can i get this for cheap. the building complex is gonna take up half a sheet of plywood at least possibly more i dont have all the measurments yet just to give you an idea of how much materials i will be using

Any type of model sheeting isn't going to be "cheap" unless someone here on the forum has a bunch. You could always print it off of a web site.

ok thank you. i will not be printing it i want 3d so i will either have to make it or buy it. its a pity the machine shops i can use dont have small enough equipment for this stuff. the machines i has access to are big enough to build all the real stuff

I was looking at the brick sheet from Rusty Stumps Each sheet is 12" wide x 8" high - cost $12.95. That comes out to $19.42 a square foot! OUCH! Micro-Mark has a brick paper that they say has the brick surface higher then the mortar lines. Each package contains 4ea 6"x9" sheets .. or about $5.30 a sq ft. Mainline Hobby Supply has Plastruct brick sheets .. 2ea 7"x12" sheets for $9.75 which comes to about $8.35 sq ft.

Looking at those prices, I'm thinking that (for myself) a mix of 3-D near the edge and printed further back might make more sense ... $ speaking.

Edit: After posting that I Google'd brick paper and found an interesting program (interesting as in .. hmmm .. look at that!) .. called Brickyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would cast the walls in hydrocal and then carve the bricks in it and that way you have 3d walls and it's much cheaper then styrene sheets.
Dave

@FG .. just had a thought (do occasionally). Wonder if you could use liquid latex .. and the same procedures we use to make rock castings .. but instead copy a styrene brick sheet? That way you could basically just cast your walls in hydrocal/plaster

Rather than try to copy the whole styrene brick sheet, build some wall sections from styrene and copy those. It could save a lot of cutting on the castings. Then you just put them together like building blocks.

If you can get crisp enough detail in the molds then this is likely to be the most affordable 3-D option.

Agree. If you had a design with pilasters .. you could have a 'module' consisting of a 'square' of brick facing with a window or two .. and a pilaster on only one side. That would enable you to build an entire factory wall .. as you said .. like building blocks.

i agree with the building block concept alot of buildings now adays are using concrete panels that are premade and these panels even have fake red brick in them but it looks realistic each panel has a form that must be made up but many of the forms can be adjusted a little and used for another piece of the building.
i also just got a large ebay auction in. and about a third of it was bridge pillars so i have enough of these to go around the block i am thinking about choping a few of them up for their brick.
also got a woodland scenics building kit it has 15 building i will be busy for a while.
the project i originally wanted the brick for wont be included in my first layout i dont think. it will probably end up in an expansion or a new layout. since i am only 19 i have to make my layout modular so i can take it with me when and if i move out so it could become a replacable module (a huge one at that). i will however be building a few sections of the building that i can put together later but for now they will be seperate buildings

Back