I have this AHM SW1 plastic frame and shell , wanted to fit an Athearn bb Sw7 frame in it yet.

Blues909

styrene cement won't touch the stuff . I need to build the sills down a bit . I have no idea what it's made of and I'm not sure what the shell is made of . Is super glue the only thing that will work? I never ran across this before. It's ether Delrin or maybe nylon. Haven't been able to locate an Athearn bb SW7 shell . It's like the old Athearn side frames. I'm not sure what the shell is made of , I haven't tried the styrene cement on it yet.

The shell will take super glue, the sideframes won't. Never found any glue that would repair that slippery plastic.

Tried both, never seemed to hold. There was a 2 part glue Walthers came out with specifically for plastic handrails at one point. Never had luck with that either.

Have you test fit the mechanism yet to see if it will fit? The SW1 hood is several ft shorter than the hood of an SW7 if the shell is even close to accurate, the front gear tower of the BB frame may interfere with the shell.

This shell is the same size as the Athearn SW7. The main issue is the pilots are open and gluing anything will render the same results as the area I need to build up under the walk way so the Athearn SW7 frame edge fits and does not show. Over all it seems more trouble than it's worth. I'm not even sure the shell will take styrene cement I haven't tried yet.

Back