I got my Rail Pro today

josephbw

I ordered the Rail Pro system from Yankee Dabbler on Sat. afternoon, and received it this morning at 11:30. That's 2 days from NJ to western Ohio including Sunday! :) I'll have to install a decoder and some track, then fire up the system and test it out. I'll follow up later.

You'll love it J!
I run it on a friend's layout and will soon be placing an order for myself!
Looking forward to your report...

You are going to love RailPro. It is going to add a whole new dimension of fun in model railroading.

Cheers
Mel

I got an Athearn RS-2 fitted with my sound decoder, but I don't have any speakers yet. Did the speed matching, the throttle set up, nailed down some temporary track, hooked up the power, turned on the headlight and the damndest thing happened. It ran, that is until I touched the info button and killed it. It took a while to unbefuddle it, but I got it back on track.

I forgot to order the wiring harnesses, so there were several locos that I could have used, but they will have to wait until later. I tried to put the decoder in one of my BLI engines, but I'm going to wait until I have a few installs under my belt before I try that again. So far so good.

This will give me the added incentive to finish putting down my homasote so I can start to lay track for real. :D

I swore I thought I posted that night that I put another receiver in a SW1500. I either have the beginnings of old timers disease, or I posted it on another forum. :confused:

Sorry for the confusion, Joe

Yes, RailPro modules must be used with the RailPro control system. This system is very different than DCC where command signals are are sent through the tracks. Railpro is a true wireless radio control where the signals are sent directly from the controller to the locomotive or other equipment such as turnouts.

There is a lot of information out there about RailPro. Check out these links:

http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php This is an unofficial RailPro Users Group

http://ringengineering.com/

There is a lot of videos on youtube under "railpro"

Cheers
Mel

I'm just starting out, again, my layout will be built around operations, maybe 6-8 operators, is there anyway around having to buy 8 throttles if no one else uses RailPro? Maybe using a smart phone app and wi-fi module?

As a follow up to my original post, I now have 20 engines with RP modules installed. I've consisted 4 at a time, with only about 10 seconds of button pushing, AND NO CV'S TO FOOL WITH. ;) In a recent conversation with Tim Ring, I found out that you can consist up to 12 engines, or any combination of consists + double headers, singles, etc., as long as there are only 12 drawing power. I would imagine that with another power booster, you could increase that number, but don't quote me on that.

My layout is still under construction and I only have a temporary track down for break in and testing purposes. But I am steadily working on it. Today I was installing more ceiling grid for phase 2 of my layout. I had a friend helping me that is moving out of state soon, so I thought I better get him to help me while he was still here.

If anyone is interested, there is a Rail Pro forum with a lot of information, tricks, & how to information at, http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php (Rail Pro Users Group).

Here's a pic of one installation.

69b559cd-985e-4cf9-934e-d131a71f72d5_zpsy07vehib.jpg

Joe

Back