i couldnt help myself

Well i have 2 athearn big boys already & athearn will push back
Delivery date a couple of times soooo it will most likely not get here till summer
2016 lol

If that was me, as soon as I counted on a delivery date of 2016, the things would show up at my door Monday afternoon!

I say go for it. U.P. had 25 of em. I have 11. image.jpg

Most of my steam locomotive collection is a case of "I couldn't help myself". Very early on in the hobby I contracted Brassitis. Brassitis is a very serious disease which causes you to bleed money in large quantities upon exposure to certain types of models or when browsing e-bay. It strikes without warning, and can be fatal if SWMBO sees how much you are spending. Unfortunately, there is no cure. :p:rolleyes:

I like those 2 classes as well, but don't own any. How about a brass H8? I have one of those!

Love the Allegheny!

Most of my steam locomotive collection is a case of "I couldn't help myself". Very early on in the hobby I contracted Brassitis. Brassitis is a very serious disease which causes you to bleed money in large quantities upon exposure to certain types of models or when browsing e-bay. It strikes without warning, and can be fatal if SWMBO sees how much you are spending. Unfortunately, there is no cure. :p:rolleyes:

Pretty much the same here, they way it is with me and Milwaukee Road, not a decease, that would be disrespectful to the memory of the railroad and those who worked on it, more like obsession, addiction, in a good way....
If I had the money, then....I wouldn't have the space! I'd have several Hiawathas etc., etc...
As for now, it's I couldn't help myself with books and a occasional locomotive...

Which reminds me....I need to get another bookcase... :eek: ;):D

Love the Allegheny!

I've wanted an allegheny since I was a teenager. Of course could never afford a new one. I was lucky to get the one I have. One of our older club members, called me out to his car at the clubhouse, and said that he couldn't think of anyone who would enjoy it more, or deserved it more. He then gave me his Akane Allegheny. The front end detail needed rebuilding, which I could do. It is one of my prized possessions.

Pretty much the same here, they way it is with me and Milwaukee Road, not a decease, that would be disrespectful to the memory of the railroad and those who worked on it, more like obsession, addiction, in a good way....
If I had the money, then....I wouldn't have the space! I'd have several Hiawathas etc., etc...
As for now, it's I couldn't help myself with books and a occasional locomotive...

Which reminds me....I need to get another bookcase... :eek: ;):D

This is almost as bad as brassitis. It's called prototypitis. This is where you lock on to one prototype road, and must have as much as you can get your hands on. It too is also incurable. Symptoms can include drooling, panting, crying when you lose an auction on the bay....etc. These symptoms are also associated with brassitis. They can be alleviated by a constant purchase of items associated with the prototype road(s), and for us brass.

Like Alan' and mine cases of brassitis, you can only ease the symptoms, not eliminate them. We're both card carrying members of the organization, Brassitis Sufferers, or BS. If there is one prototype, or maybe 2 involved with the brassitis, its called Prototype Brassitis, and that's another organization called Prototype Brassitis Sufferers or PBS;):p

Montanan:

So your line purchased a surplus C&O unit after WWII and never scrapped it. After all, the PRR did lease ATSF 4-8-4s at the end of steam-they worked the Sandusky line. A little playing with fact and fiction? Sure, why not! Or perhaps it's an excursion engine? Why not? I have an NKP Berkshire for my Anthracite Division-it can run excursions on my line. A logical "justification" if there ever was one!

Photoman475

Been thinking of signing up for those, since I already been hit Freelancescocis and Protolancingexia....
Meetings once a month then, or?

MILW 113:

It's my understanding that the symptoms of Freelancescocis, Protolancingexia and all forms of Brassitis can only be alleviated, not cured. Common symptoms include swapmeetitis, hobbyshopitosis and ebayitis.

Typical treatment regimens include hand to the wallet for cash, credit card swipes and winning auctions/buy now. Some patients have reported temporary relief by an application of something obtained only rarely, gifts from "significant others." Their reports have indicated that likely cover stories for such a rarity are birthdays and Christmas.

The most disciplined of patients report that only by the strictest application of sticking to the Plan as Envisioned by the Prototype can longer term relief be obtained. However, in weak moments, even this does not work.

Sadly, it's been rumored that something known as "manufacturers" do little to reduce the suffering by offering further temptations by a device called "advertising". No known medicine can prevent this from taking place, except, perhaps, the long-term non-appearance of such "advertised" things.

As of now, there are no 12 step plans to help us from backsliding. Freud was unaware of the problem, thus, the literature is rather thin on this topic.

Photoman475

My wife and I have three bank accounts: Our joint household account at bank U, she has a personal account at bank C, and I have a personal account at bank L.
We each get a monthly "allowance" that we deposit into our personal accounts. I cannot complain about anything she buys from her personal account, she can't complain about anything I buy from mine. If I save my "allowance", it'll pay for the Athearn Genesis 4-8-8-4 Big Boy #4014 (you knew it was going to be that number) coal burner I just pre-ordered from Factory Direct Trains. $419 sounded like a reasonable price. I had a very nice Big Boy I had to sell a couple of years ago, along with most of the rest of my steam fleet, during a time of severe financial crisis. Things are much better now, so it's time for a new one.

Hi Black, long time indeed. I'm not sure why Athearn is doing oil tenders on them. I'll have to consult a few books but afaik they only tried oil on 1 of them and it didn't work well. I was looking at adding one of the Athearns' but the #'s I would be interested in have oil tenders. I really don't want 1 if it didn't have one. I'm not a rivet counter by any means but I will only give so much then I'm out. Plus it makes it easier to pass on it! lol
SEANN,long time lol ,11???? Damn ,athearn my deliver on time since the only change is the oil parts for the
Tender,im sure i will be Suprised 1 day lol

MILW 113:

It's my understanding that the symptoms of Freelancescocis, Protolancingexia and all forms of Brassitis can only be alleviated, not cured. Common symptoms include swapmeetitis, hobbyshopitosis and ebayitis.

Typical treatment regimens include hand to the wallet for cash, credit card swipes and winning auctions/buy now. Some patients have reported temporary relief by an application of something obtained only rarely, gifts from "significant others." Their reports have indicated that likely cover stories for such a rarity are birthdays and Christmas.

The most disciplined of patients report that only by the strictest application of sticking to the Plan as Envisioned by the Prototype can longer term relief be obtained. However, in weak moments, even this does not work.

Sadly, it's been rumored that something known as "manufacturers" do little to reduce the suffering by offering further temptations by a device called "advertising". No known medicine can prevent this from taking place, except, perhaps, the long-term non-appearance of such "advertised" things.

As of now, there are no 12 step plans to help us from backsliding. Freud was unaware of the problem, thus, the literature is rather thin on this topic.

Photoman475

Absolutely beautiful description of what we suffer! You ought to send this in to the JAMA, (Journal of the American Medical Association).

Hi Black, long time indeed. I'm not sure why Athearn is doing oil tenders on them. I'll have to consult a few books but afaik they only tried oil on 1 of them and it didn't work well. I was looking at adding one of the Athearns' but the #'s I would be interested in have oil tenders. I really don't want 1 if it didn't have one. I'm not a rivet counter by any means but I will only give so much then I'm out. Plus it makes it easier to pass on it! lol

I read in the news somewhere on the restoration of U.P 4014 that it will be converted to burn oil no doubt because of environmental issues.

No so much environmental issue so much
As all the locos will burn 1 type of fuel
They dont want to haul oil for the 3985& 844
& haul coal for 4014

I read in the news somewhere on the restoration of U.P 4014 that it will be converted to burn oil no doubt because of environmental issues.
Well, sort of. When the 3985 was coal and they took it up to Seattle it set the entire NW on fire. That was the main "environmental" issue that drove its conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm unsure as to what I'm looking at (in Post #1) ... I already have the Athearn Genesis Big Boy (purchased in late 2013 ??) with DCC and sound ... how is this one different?

Oh, and I love mine ... nice movement on my 30+" radius turns

p.s. - and I didn't pay that much for mine !

Back