blackz28

I figure it will be a long time before its on my doorstep
Since athearn has longgggg lead times but hey i had to have it
Anybody else order one??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-29-20-29-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-29-20-29-38.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 236
I did not order one, but I don't run steam and most of my equipment is east coast stuff.

If Athearn is anything like Lionel with these high end models you never know what the availability will be, Some Lionel Vision Line locomotives are all sold through pre-orders before they ever reach dealer shelves. On the other hand if they don't sell out the discounts can be 50% off the original pre-order price.

It comes down to how bad do you want it? I know if Lionel comes out with a Vision Line Chessie/B&O diesel I will pre-order one!

Congratulations, I have one Athearn Genesis an EMD GP40-2 Chessie/B&O GM 50 anniversary diesel and it is simply fantastic!. I would imagine the Big Boy will be too, if not even better, if that is possible!

Said the same thing myself when I boaught my Alleghenys,one a brass Key models from Caboose hobbies and the other a late edition Rivarossi off ebay

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I understand. I fell into the trap myself. I am a fan of articulated locomotives and came across the Spectrum locomotive at an estate sale, new in the box for $125. I model my area in Montana. I guess I could remove the C & O markings and decorate it for my own railroad.

attachment.php

So far I've been able to resist buying really exotic motive power that doesn't match my road or era. But when I first came into the hobby at age 12, I saw an Athearn DD40 loco in the display case at a nearby Montgomery Ward store, and I decided right then I just HAD to have it. Instead of having lunch for a few months, I saved up all my school lunch money to buy the dang thing.

Well i have 2 athearn big boys already & athearn will push back
Delivery date a couple of times soooo it will most likely not get here till summer
2016 lol

That is sooo cool!!!
Far, FAR too rich for my blood, but COMPLETELY AWESOME nevertheless. I model 'modern' because that's what my little engineer wants, but I've always thought the steamies have the most character.

I wonder if it'll even fit around a 30 degree curve, though?

You should take lots of pictures, if you ever actually receive it...

I hope that you enjoy it as much as you can Black.

A Big Boy has never been and will never be on my want list.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, it just not a locomotive that I want.

Carey, did the Southern even have any articulateds? I can't remember ever seeing a photo of one...

They had several classes of articulateds. The largest of them were the Ls-1's and Ls-2's. They were both 2-8-8-2's and had a TE of 96,000. They weren't big by the standards of other RR's like N&W, and C&O, as they were basic USRA designs, but they did the work that the Southern needed.

During the steam era, the SRR was very conservative when it came to their locomotives. The were so conservative that some locos that were on roster when the SRR was formed in 1894, lasted to the late 1940's to the early 50's.

LOL even I don't have one of those - too rich for the blood of a diseasel lover like me! If I'd been born just a couple years sooner and seen them in action, I'm sure I'd have several. I do remember seeing #1601 at the Henry Ford Museum though...

Last edited by a moderator:
...- too rich for the blood of a diseasel lover like me!...

Ken, consider this. Precision Scale Company, offered both the Ls-1 and Ls-2 a couple of years ago. Trouble is the prices are in the $1700 range! As bad as I want one, that's too much for me. Besides, do you know how much groveling it would take to get that out of SWMBO?

Back