I am new to the forum.

Rabman

I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now to get the lay of the land.

I would say that I am new to model railroading (though I did have a model train when I was younger. I have kept all of my trains in boxes since I was 10-14 years old...carting them from home to home along the way. They have been in Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and back to Toronto.

Though I am new'ish to model railroading, I have worked with CN Rail and Metrolinx (GO Transit passenger service). I look forward to getting some advice from the group; even though I know a bit about real trains, not so much on the HO gauge.

Now that my son is turning 5 years old, I am seriously thinking about making a layout with him for some bonding time. My wife has agreed to a small corner in the basement for the layout. Probably a maximum of 4' x 8'. I am going to do HO gauge as I have quite a bit of stuff for it.

Right now I am trying to figure out a track layout. I am not a stickler for authenticity. Even though I work in passenger trains, my space will not fit a HO gauge passenger train with 85' passenger coaches with the track radius I will be able to accommodate on a 4 x 8.

Until later.

Welcome to the best forum around!
Got to run for now, but visit the fellows in the ANPL "Coffee Shop" for some good Jawing with all!

Try and at least stretch your board to 5x9 -- It makes all the difference in the world when track planning.

Well, I think I would need to buy my wife jewelry to swing a 5 x 9. I certainly have enough track for it.

Welcome to the forums! There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here so information is plentiful. I run both HO and N scale and am currently working on my N scale layout. I've been lax on getting updates on the forum. I did an HO ceiling track, I think the pics came over from the old site. A lot of the tips and tricks I got right here. Keep up posted and we love lots of pictures!!

Welcome to the group. I was an N scaler for several years, and just recently made the switch to HO. Tons of knowledge around here!

Rabman, welcome to the forum and a wealth of information........ I had done the same thing with my trains, carting them around with me for, well, quite awhile, since man landed on the moon.......

Welcome Rabman. Lots of friendly folks here. As Sherrel posted, come visit the Coffee Shop and talk about anything. It's our version of social media.

Willie

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will write a new post when I figure out how large a layout I am allowed to do.

Back