How Would I Go About Designing The Road Markings For This Intersection?

GuilfordRailman

I have tried to find examples online of intersections similar to mine but haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for.

Does anybody know the best way to design the road markings for this intersection? I would like to include a parallel parking spot for my store and markings for the tracks crossing the street. I made a quick mockup using a photo editing app on my phone. Below are the before and after pictures:

IMG_6608.jpeg

IMG_6613.png

Last edited:
View attachment 185624

I would put crossing gates where the circles are
Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely did not include enough details for the scenario in my original post, sorry about that. This scene is a rural town area at the end of a branch line so train speeds are VERY slow. My thinking was to just use cross bucks and road markings, rather than gates.

I’m more looking for feedback on changes specific to painted lines for the road way and parking space, more specifically if those look correct or should be changed?

There are so many variations for each intersection, it’s almost overwhelming!

Have you looked at Woodland Scenics?

They have some road making products. White and yellow stripping paint pens.

I thought there was someone who made stencils to do the arrows, and grade crossing. I cant find it now. I thought they were laser cut brass squares I will keep looking.

Nock makes a similar product but don't know if its for US prototypes..

After thinking about the intersection more, and based off some quick research, I’ve determined that I’m trying to model a “passive” grade crossing. I’m visualizing simple cross bucks with minimal road markings…possibly.

Based on the recommendation from @NVSrr1500, I’ve determined that the intersection in modern times would look something more like this:

IMG_6615.png

The X markings would be off scene in this case because of the distance required from the crossing. It would also require appropriate signage to indicate the location of the tracks relative to where each motorist is on the road.

However….since I’m modeling 1960’s, I’m thinking maybe the scene would look different? Did the same regulations exist back then? Any feedback on that would be extremely helpful!

Below is a picture I found of the kind of intersection I’m going for I think.

IMG_6614.jpeg

Have you looked at Woodland Scenics?

They have some road making products. White and yellow stripping paint pens.

I thought there was someone who made stencils to do the arrows, and grade crossing. I cant find it now. I thought they were laser cut brass squares I will keep looking.

Nock makes a similar product but don't know if its for US prototypes..
Thanks for the help! I’m actually more interested in how the lines would be marked on the road vs. what to use to paint them. Appreciate the recommendation tho!

Back