How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Adi wrote:
what do you mean?

Well Adi, I mean , just simple, this: : the thread about treemaking was "clicked" more than 100.000 times since the first post some years ago...=)

Jos

Hallo everyone!
I was trying to make a nice tree, like you ones that were posted on this thread,for some time, and iv got some questions if i may ask:

1.What glue do you use to apply the levees to a tree?
(except spray can glue, i cant find that anywhere, and it would cost a loooot)

2.I have 2 tips of fiber, the flower-store ones (they are m ore dense, light brown, too light), and the filter fibers (white ones, much thinner ), the main problem is that i cant paint eider one of them, can i use natural fibers (wool), or some paint that is not acrylic,
email of spray paint?

3.What size do the fibers suppose to be? ( iv tried making linger at first, and than adding smaller ones)

4. I use small peaces of crap paper and glue them with white (wood) glue, is this a good method?

Sorry to bother, and of course THANKS! :)

hello Cika tetreb,

1.What glue do you use to apply the levees to a tree?
(except spray can glue, i cant find that anywhere, and it would cost a loooot)

I use the ( expensive)sprayglue to let stick the leaves on the fibers...but you could try a mix of white glue, water and some drops of dishdetergent( soap you can use when doing the dishes). May be you can get a empty bottle wit a spray just like a spraycan . But the top of the bottle can be removed to fill it again in other words: the part that make sprays the , in your case, whitegluemix .
Spray only over/at the outside of the shape of the tree and add right afgter that the leaves...the only difference between sprayglue and this method is that you have to wait much longer when adding more leaves.

2.I have 2 tips of fiber, the flower-store ones (they are m ore dense, light brown, too light), and the filter fibers (white ones, much thinner ), the main problem is that i cant paint eider one of them, can i use natural fibers (wool), or some paint that is not acrylic,
email of spray paint?

About coloring the fibers:

maybe color them before adding at the frame of the tree..use textilecolors not the ones used for natural fibers but for artificial fibers like nylon or so....

3.What size do the fibers suppose to be? ( iv tried making linger at first, and than adding smaller ones)

The size depends on what kind of tree you want to make! so you have to experiment!!
Mostly I cut the fibers ,I buy at the flowerstore overhere ,in small parts from about 1 cm..so 0,5 till 1,5 cm....

4. I use small peaces of crap paper and glue them with white (wood) glue, is this a good method?

I realy don't know!!! If it looks good to you ...it is!!!
any picture if this method next time??:)

Jos

Thanks about the reply! :)

About the picture..
I would gladly upload them, but where?

Alsow do you spreed the fibers and add them separately, or you put them in a bunch?

One more thing:
Does anyone have an idea about an easy how to cut crap paper in small parts?

I use scissors whit a specific technick iv developed, but my arm falls of after i make a relatively decent bunch of levees. :D

Earlier Iv fought about making some plants (tropical plants) by cutting oft small pictures and shaping them and.... But i couldn't cut that small pictures, the exacto knife dosent work, a needle doesent work, is this even possible in the 1:72 proportion?

THANKS! :)

Hi Brad,

Isn't it possible to post the fibers in a( or 2) strong envelope(s)? the shipping will be less than 6 dollars per envelope!
The idea about this is to get/make the "package" with fibers vacuum( air out of it)....so they will be very flat!

For the base of the trunk I use mostly a wire that is stronger( 0,6 mm) than the ones I use for the branches/twigs!( 0,4 mm)
Besides this I use on the (base of the) trunk mostly 2 ore more layers of sawdust!
For strong branches also twice with sawdust and for the small branches tall twigs only one layer of very fine sawdust.
Let each layer of sawdust dry when starting a new layer. Also add some dishdetergent to the deluted whiteglue.
For the first layer I use white glue that is just slighly deluted ...for the next layers I use strong deluted whiteglue( about 1/2 whiteglue- 1/2 water+ drops detergent)
To immitate the bark I use fine turf"soil"from woodland as the final layer and only on the lower parts of the tree= trunkbase- trunk and lower strong branches....
let it dry for one night( in summer in the sun= 1 hour...;-))
finaly the frame will be dipped in a can with latexwallpaint in a treetrunklike color= mostly greygreenbrown....( just watch nature!)

If you need more info just ask/write !

Jos

ps: picture isn't bad at all

Thanks Jos, that's the info I was looking for. ;)

Made some (european kind of) H0 pine trees and some larches( spring.)

Jos

Again, very nice!
Great shot and lighting also.

I often wonder if anyone has ever modelled a giant red cedar or a sequoia tree.

Have you or would you?

Though they would look odd on a HO layout to scale because they would have to be two to three feet high.

Always a pleasure seeing your trees.

Cheers.

Thanks zoegraf! =)

The only , look-a-like- trees I ever built were some small ones: watch the posts # 220 and # 254
Very deep , somewhere in my head there are some ideas about how to and when(??) making these big huge very impressive trees!(it all deals about having the space , at least, to store these monstertrees! :D

Jos

Thanks zoegraf! =)

The only , look-a-like- trees I ever built were some small ones: watch the posts # 220 and # 254
Very deep , somewhere in my head there are some ideas about how to and when(??) making these big huge very impressive trees!(it all deals about having the space , at least, to store these monstertrees! :D

Jos

I took a look at the posts Jos. Again, a pleasure.
Some day when I get the time, I will try to make trees like yours. Your posts and instructions are very much appreciated.

Some "new"ones...
Platanus acerifolia( London plane-trees????:confused:)
Scale: H0
platanenandreas2011julikleinform.jpg

platanenandreas2011julistamdetailkleinform.jpg

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
skow@:

yes they are! :)
I "painted" them with deluted ( terpintin) alkyde paint ( just like painting sawdust) a little bit more lightgrey/olivegreen
The color of the NOCH leaves is : "medium green"

Jos

WOW, that's awsome !

Cloud someone tell me how to paint the leafs to make different types of trees?

For example how would i make a oat tree it has very specific leafs?

Alsow something new iv found a way to make bulrush and fern, il if i can upload some pictures.

:)

Here is a way to upload pictures:

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:

Back