How to make Nickel Silver track more dirt and grime resistant.

syrous

Hi guys just posted a how to vid on my YouTube channel regarding the processes of gleaming or burnishing your Nickel Silver track to make it more resistant to dirt and grime sticking to the rails.
I decided to film the process as not much out there other then written instructions on forums. Enjoy, like, comment, ask questions and please subscribe.
UNITRACK PT2: http://youtu.be/pQHz3I16s7g

I'm inclined to think that the original manufactured track condition is a very perfect surface. The metal polish is actually very fine tooth paste that contains a very fine grit. The grit will cause very fine scratches in the railhead which in turn captures dirt. With the density of the very fine scratches, the entire rail surface will be subject to dirt accumulation.

I'm inclined to think that the original manufactured track condition is a very perfect surface. The metal polish is actually very fine tooth paste that contains a very fine grit. The grit will cause very fine scratches in the railhead which in turn captures dirt. With the density of the very fine scratches, the entire rail surface will be subject to dirt accumulation.
I was sceptical as you where at first, when I came across this method on the forum. I was so frustrated with cleaning my track I tried this method and it works for me. The combination of the polish and stainless steel transfer on the track makes the dirt non stick. Many that tried swear by this method. It's been used on private and large club layouts.

The only major set back is your motive power and cars accumulate higher amounts of dirt which for me is far easer to clean those with a good wheel cleaner rather then cleaning track.

By no means I am telling individuals to do this to their track. I simply came across this method and did not find any videos on the procedure, so I decided to make one for anyone interested to try.

In fact many long time train modellers suggest to sand your track work with fine grit sand paper from time to time to get the deep grime off. This method helps the grime from sticking to rail in first place. On many occasions I run my finger on the rail and get a dark strip of dirt on my finger which never happened before this method was used. But when cleaning conventionally the amount of dirt was outstanding.

In truth it's hard to keep your track from fine scratches as loco wheels and metal wheel sets on cars are known to slowly wear on track.

Back