How to CORRECTLY model water.

Very well written and illustrated series of articles, Miles. It would be nice to make this thread a sticky since the subject comes up on a regular basis.

That's a great article! You should make a page full of the links to the steps, to make it easier for other sites to link to. *wink wink*

You should make a page full of the links to the steps,
Seems I have the same idea, as the thread dies out I'll copy the first post to it's own sticky thread and lock it, maybe with other links and great ideas.
Cheers
Willis

Perhaps the coolest thing about using sculptamold is that its uneven surface, when coated with the acryllic, turns into rippled, flowing water that looks identical to that of a river. :) Unlike the other products in which you have to put a layer of gloss medium over the pancake flat surface, this does it automatically!

WOW!! Excellent "how to" !! I've had my river bed on my layout ever since I started building it. I've never had the nerve to try and actually make water before until now. I think it's great for letting us know the cheaper way of doing this other to spend a boat load of cash with Woodland Scenics stuff. Excellent work and Thanks!!!

Johnny B

FISHIN.jpg

Envirotex Lite. Ripples painted on with Artist's Acrylic Gloss Medium. Photoshop sparkles. Photoshop fishing line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water Surface

How is the water surface done? Materials, tools and method. I have been doing mockups for a 2ft x 3ft river I plan to pour and use dyed Envirotex for my base, but cannot get a realistic surface using gel medium. I have poured a creek, but the river is much larger and needs surface realism and can't get the results I'm looking for.

I used a couple pours of Envirotex for my base as well. Then I used the Artist's Acrylic gel mediium/gloss, and painted the ripples on top of the Envirotex. My preference is a very small brush. The "river/stream" is coming from the right...tumbling through a rapids, so I tried to mimic the surface movement it might have upon coming out. Here's another photo showing how I painted the "depth" on a flat bottom,(using flat black for deep water fading into light blue and finally up to sand), and another showing more of the rapids.
WAVE-DETAIL.jpg

WAVES.jpg

**I've attached a link to a guy who models Z scale, and he does water very good, as well as just about everything else! I followed the example he's posted when I did my water. Scroll down the bridge construction page.
http://rosetown.ch/News/Dioramaprogress_bridge.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to hobby lobby today and acrylic glazing liquid is the same price as woodland scenics realistic water, anyone know where to find it cheaper?

Back