How to CORRECTLY model water.

Ripples

I used Woodland Scenics "water". After airbrushing the stream bed with the colors I wanted (this can be done by hand too), I poured the "water" evenly through the strean bed. As the water began to harden, I took an old paint brush, which was clean, about a 2 inch brush, and began to lightly slap the surface with the broad side of the brush, holding it at about a 15 degree angle. This water sets up pretty quick, but you have to catch it at just the right time. You can do it early, and it may want to self level, but you can always do it again. If you wait too long, it will harden to the point where you won't get the ripple effect.

This is my input for water.
The "waves" were got with some some rolled sheets of paper, then they were smothered with DACS, a white-coloured clay, and so was the remaining area around the boat to get other minor irregularities (small waves).Then i added some paper soaked with water and white glue, this was the definite method for the water small corrugations; after painting, I added Vallejo heavy transparent gel (ref 27591) (most of the waves around the boat were made with this product) and finally some varnish was added. Maybe it is not a clinching method but you would be hard put to fail using this recipee.;)
The boat is H0 1/87 (by Artitec).

dscn3650t.jpg

dscn3492iw.jpg

dscn3649d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic modeling, the wash from the hull is so lifelike.

There's always got to be some kid climbing up on something so he can risk falling overboard, is that why the crewman on top is getting ready to launch the lifeboat?

As rough as that sea looks, I'm surprised you don't have anyone hangin' over the rail! Absolutely, beautiful job!

Fantastic modeling, the wash from the hull is so lifelike.

There's always got to be some kid climbing up on something so he can risk falling overboard, is that why the crewman on top is getting ready to launch the lifeboat?

Some time ago, when attending a contest with my boat, I couldn´t help eavesdropping a lady, who was peering at the display cabinet where the boat was shown, anxiously saying: "That little girl is about to fall into the water!!"

Tiny amounts of water included in any microscene may be a key to get a shocking ending result. The movement of the liquid element, when needed, is paramount.
This was the case in this Spanish water column (very accurately reproduced by Miniaturas Lacalle).
The main water flow was made with an empty plastic ink bar from a pen with some silicone on it. The bonded water spills were made with a polyester wire with some silicone covering it so as to get an uneven look.
The schrub at the back is an alga!
The chain is from Campbell and figures by Preiser
Its title...quite obvious..Shut it!!

dscn3588dr.jpg

dscn3585l.jpg

That is amazing.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about your english, is much better than a lot of 1st language speakers.

Thank you for your reply tootnkumin, this makes up for many hours of effort.
We may be "poles apart" but I am sure we are not, by any scratch of the imagination, worlds apart, in fact, we are closer than it might be thought....

Thank you for your reply tootnkumin, this makes up for many hours of effort.
We may be "poles apart" but I am sure we are not, by any scratch of the imagination, worlds apart, in fact, we are closer than it might be thought....

Ah! You'll have to come down under and get to know some "strine" (Australian "english" slang). There's a lingo out on it's own.

I will get down under there as soon as I can. There is a world of things to learn.

Another chapter, when it comes to dealing with water, is "still" water. My only recipee is polyester resin -a two-part concoction that really works fine- provided you are really patient and build your ponds very little by little (on a two or three-mm-thickness-layer basis). By the way, if you are modelling puddles, nail polishing will give you the edge on any competitor... get a woman and borrow it from her....if you can manage to!!

dscn6653.jpg

modelico -
Is that gentleman doing what it appears...or is he holding an amber-colored fishing pole? ;)

So far as your English is concerned, it is excellent. Most people in the U.S. haven't spoken "english" for several hundred years! And "American" dialects can really vary from place-to-place. A large yellow cat is called a "mountain lion" out here in the Western U.S. (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc.), but in Florida may be known as a "panther" or "painter"; and even called a "catamount" in some places. Although modern communications have blurred the accents, there is still a major difference between a native of the state of Maine and "the Deep South" in accent and pronouciation. Most generic is the so-called "Mid-west", which is fairly universal.

Even railroads have different terms for the car that used to hold the freight conductor and rear end brakemen. Most know that as a "caboose". But the Burlington and others called it a "way car" or "cabin car". The term "crummy" was also used as slang for a caboose. BTW, I don't speak Spanish or any other language besides "American".

Of course! I even have a couple of fibreglass fishing poles that look yellow in the sunlight. Just couldn't see the line from the tip of the pole going down to the water.

It is sometimes difficult to know the sense of humor of some people on the internet. For example, though I don't gamble, on my layout, in the alley behind one of the buildings in a town, there are a few men in a circle kneeling down. A few streets away, a police officer is directing traffic around a road crew repairing the street, apparently unaware of the illegal dice game that is going on! ;) Likewise, on another scene, some hoboes are gathered around a campfire in a grove of trees, not far fromt the railroad tracks, probably discussing on what freight train to try to hop on, and hoping the railroad police (colloguially known as "the bulls") don't catch them.

BTW, fantastic weathering job on that steam locomotive! And the water scene is great, including the ducks.

Thank you trailraider, I sometimes just can`t keep my Preisermen quiet...but they have been severly called down....they won´t be able to go for a ride on any train during one week!...some ladies couldn´t help weeping..with their 1/87 tears! I could hardly stand it!
The loco has within all the heater pipes, can be seen from the smokebox.

Thanks to Rob Spangler for sharing his methods with acrylic paints. I mixed up three small batches of acrylic paint using medium cadmium yellow, black and tan colors to represent 3 major shades by trial and error and then blended them for the following results. The photo's are a bit over exposed - new LED lights above.

20161008_171603_zps71du7qah.jpg

20161009_151857_zpsjqktx4l3.jpg

20161009_151950_zps2ldd8zgo.png

Here Mod Podge was applied thickly and waves made by poking with a brush:

20161031_153024_zpsddthfizj.png

20161031_153037_zps3stty0ph.png

20161031_153004_zpsrvfjksmm.png

After drying:

20161105_111424_zpslncvzhgo.png

20161105_111500_zps6j5gzkr6.png

20161105_111441_zpseihjcxr1.jpg

Guys, help me, here. I cannot open any of the posted photos from anyone, not Modelico, not Riogrande, no-one. The icons for the photos are boxes with an "x" in them. Is there a specific program they have to be opened in? Everyone else seems to have been able to view them, but not me. Any suggestions?
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Back