How to construct a fun operating yard

Nucular

I have a space of roughly 3 to 4 feet by 9 to 12 feet that I can construct a railyard in. The scale is G scale. Anyone out there can suggest or provide some help with this? I have thought about a turn table, and many other ideas for just being able to switch out engines, or a few cars. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's not a lot of space in G scale. I built a yard with engine facilities in just about the same space. 13' x 39 inches average. A lot of space was taken up by the town scene, but it was still a lot of work to make everything fit in that space in HO scale.

IMAG0807.jpg That could be quite a challenge in G scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a space of roughly 3 to 4 feet by 9 to 12 feet that I can construct a railyard in. The scale is G scale. Anyone out there can suggest or provide some help with this? I have thought about a turn table, and many other ideas for just being able to switch out engines, or a few cars. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Is yard at the end of the line, or is it sitting on a through main? That isn't much space at all in G.

It is the middle of the main line. I would go off the side.

On a more serious note I have a lot of vertical space. Does anyone make a g scale train elevator? Like a 4 foot long straight section that can go up and down?

What do you want the yard to do?
Will you be classifying trains, breaking down trains switching the cars according to new blocks and destinations, then making new trains?
Will you be storing trains to swap out trains running around the layout?
Will you be stopping trains to swap out power and then running the same trains around with different power?

The best yard design is one that fits the purpose of the yard.
A class yard can have one or two double ended tracks and several stub end tracks plus a switching lead.
A staging yard is better with several double ended tracks that are about the same length.
If you are going to swap out power you will need someplace to store engines.

Ideally, I wanted a way to change out the engine. I figured with my space restrictions that a train engine yard would give me a lot of fun being able to swap out engines. Plus with engines there are ways to decouple the engine from the train when it is on the track without me having to use my hands.

Switching out cars would be okay, but decoupling becomes an issue, more space is needed, and I do not think I would find that to be all that fun.

Being able to swamp out whole trains was a thought, in G scale the length of the siding would have to be very long in order to run a long train. I could use shorter trains, but that is not as fun in my opinion. Plus my layout, is 120 feet of track, and I like to see longer trains.

I agree with all of the above, especially the space issue. I had a G Gauge layout in my side yard and it took up a LOT of space indeed. From memory, each piece of track was about 3 to 3 1/2" wide (maybe more) so even though you have 3 or 4' to play with, you wont get a lot in it.

The other problem is the length you have. I put a 5' shelf up for my wife onto which I laid 5' of G Gauge track so she could display one of my engines and some rolling stock. On a 5' length I only got one engine (GP 38 I think) and 4 cars. 9' will give you an engine and "maybe, just maybe" 7 cars with no room to move.

With that being said, why did you choose to go G Gauge?

I had g scale as a child and growing up. I like the bigger stuff. It is also easier to build stuff for it like bridges and other scenery. It is also way more forgiving. In N scale any little bump and the train comes off the track or if the rail has gaps or is not exact the train easily derails.

My plan so far that I figured is to have a double switch back. My current layout is on an 18 inch wide shelf that goes around two rooms. Anyhow the double switch back would go under my existing shelf. I have roughly 20 feet to work with. So 17 feet on one leg then 17 feet back to drop down about 10 inches. I have learned from experience that the grade cannot be more than 2%. I had Lionel on the shelf before but the grades were very steep and when I switched to g scale the engines could not Handel it so I had to engineer out a reverse slope to reduce grade to 1% Or so.

If I figured it correctly, I can store 7 engines.

My biggest challenge will be getting the outer main track to also feed into the yard and putting in a Wye. I seem to be able to figure out the electrical stuff. Never did a reverse loop on pure DC. Did them in the past with dcc.

Sorry, terminology confusion. A "railyard" or "yard" is a place where you switch or store cars. An "engine terminal" or "service track" or "roundhouse" is the place you store engines. You are wanting an engine terminal.

Normally what you would want is two or three tracks that are double ended and at least an engine or set of power long. One end ties back into the main or siding where the train will be held while the power is swapped, the other end can go into the turntable or a stub track at least one engine or set of power long. You can add additional stub tracks for storing power. You can also add tracks for bringing in sand and fuel (coal, oil or diesel).

Back