How the hobby has changed!

When I was in N scale, the first thing I did was to changer over the Kadees.
I never got my N-scale fleet converted over before I started switching back to HO. I think I still have a few of those cars with the different coupler on each end. Got to say those N-scale Rapido basket couplers worked so well compared to the HO (X2F) horn-hooks. Further, I still have not converted my G-gauge trains to knuckles. Once again the LGB baskets work so well - couple even on a tight curve, uncouple with a simple push of the pins.

I agree with the McHenry and Acumate type plastic Kadee knock off couplers. It only takes one failure on a grade where the rear of the train goes careening backwards only to derail at the next curve and go all over the floor to convince one the 100% conversion is worth it.

25 years ago for DCC? in the late 1980s, I watched the head of Marklin use his voice command system to control several cars and locomotives without touching anything. It was a really great concept, and worked pretty well, but most people in 1989 didn't want to drop a couple grand on a single locomotive for use with that system. Not to mention the system itself. I'm not sure whatever came of that idea and system, imagine what we would be doing today, if it had taken hold and become popular.

25 years ago for DCC? in the late 1980s, I watched the head of Marklin use his voice command system to control several cars and locomotives without touching anything. It was a really great concept, and worked pretty well, but most people in 1989 didn't want to drop a couple grand on a single locomotive for use with that system. Not to mention the system itself. I'm not sure whatever came of that idea and system, imagine what we would be doing today, if it had taken hold and become popular.

Give it time Terry - it'll happen for sure. I can already picture the carnage if it does :)

The biggest change the hobby has morphed into for me, is the Ready to Run craze! My problem is I still love to build things, I find that to be what keeps me interested in the hobby. I guess I will have to be happy with old inventory being sold on Ebay and at Train shows! I love Accurail, Tichy and the kits manufactured by Bowser and who ever else makes kits. When no more kits are available, I will be done with this hobby! So, this is a change I am not good with.

Everything is now geared toward instant gratification. I always liked the shake the box kits, and there are still some available. I'm more concerned about the lack of replacement and repair parts for our little wonders of our miniature world, than anything else.

How can instantaneous-ness be gratifying? Gratification comes from accomplishment. What is the accomplishment in simply buying something? How many of those who buy RTR stuff, when quarried by non-model railroaders over their beautifully built cars, say: "Yup, I built that myself"?

Terry, I understand the words: "Instant Gratification" are in common use now, just pointing out that the phrase doesn't make sense, unless the: "Yup, I built it myself" phrase accompanies it, which is a bald faced lie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

I'd hope this hobby attracted people with far more integrity than that; however, I have no doubt that there would be some who might make such claims.

I think what should be taken into account here is the ability of each individual. I can put kit structures together, paint them and make them look relatively realistic within the layouts scenery; however, I don't have a hope in hell of being able to accomplish a similar result with a kit engine. As such, all of my engines and rolling stock are out of the box and on the layout. The gratification that I get is from seeing the engine/train working on the layout; although, I would like to be able to build everything from the ground up.

With that being said - society in general has become one that gravitates toward expediency so it isn't a surprise to see that philosophy encroaching on our hobby and, no doubt, every other hobby as well.

Tony, Sorry, I did not mean to imply that all would take that stance. I don't really care about the integrity of model railroaders. They are, what they are. If you feel gratification with buying RTR stuff, that is fine by me. I simply will have a hard time relating to the concept of "Instant Gratification"! "Gratification" and the word "Instant", conjoined seems like an oxymoron to me.

No! Let's forget brass track!
Aw, why? I know, I know, it oxidizes faster than nickel-silver, the fiber ties warp with the least little moisture, etc., etc. But some of the stuff I used on my first HO layout, sixty years ago, still serves pretty well for some sidings on my current layout!

Aw, why? I know, I know, it oxidizes faster than nickel-silver, the fiber ties warp with the least little moisture, etc., etc. But some of the stuff I used on my first HO layout, sixty years ago, still serves pretty well for some sidings on my current layout!

Ditto here. Especially those that normally don't have engines on them.

Willie

Tony, Sorry, I did not mean to imply that all would take that stance. I don't really care about the integrity of model railroaders. They are, what they are. If you feel gratification with buying RTR stuff, that is fine by me. I simply will have a hard time relating to the concept of "Instant Gratification"! "Gratification" and the word "Instant", conjoined seems like an oxymoron to me.

Nothing to be sorry for mate. Fact of the matter is some people may do exactly as you described. Unfortunately, "instant gratification" seems to be what many people are after and (like many things) that is becoming what some consider to be gratifying. Some consider anything but being able to click their fingers and bingo less than gratifying :(

It is inevitable that things will happen with the Hobby and many or some will not like those happenings for their respective reasons. Has the Hobby changed? I think it has just been redefined more than changed. Very little of what happens now or can be done now are only an adaptation of things that could, and were, done decades ago.

Have those adaptations improved the Hobby? Well, that depends on your point of view. Some will say they have, others will say they haven't. I think it is fair to say that the Hobby is regarded (by the uninformed) as an "Old Man's Hobby". The biggest change then is this Old Man's Hobby is now being driven by business and not passion. In other words, it is being directed and defined by people growing up in a world that accepts (even demands) the "here and now", the "immediate" as the norm.

It would be great if there were more options for rolling stock in modular kit form. The ideal situation / example would be similar to Highliner's kits paired with a chassis/drive. Similar to what happens in aviation / military scale modeling kits.

To me it seems that there is this mentality that the manufacturers believe: "One size fits all". Simply put, "One size does not fit all". I have been placed in a minority of, "Model Builder". The manufacturers don't believe I; or, people like me exist, anymore. Or, they know I exist and do not care, as they make more money selling to people who want Ready To Roll. From a knowing what I know standpoint, I don't see how for $10.00 to $20.00 more to take a product from a kit to Ready to Roll can work. Obviously, the manufacturers are taking advantage of the lower wages in Third World Countries. I wonder, as these Third World Countries continue to prosper and wages come up to 1st and 2nd world wages, if manufacturers will be able to continue this mode of operation? Putting my neck out on the chopping block here, I know.

Mark,

Exactly ... as I said

The biggest change then is this Old Man's Hobby is now being driven by business and not passion. In other words, it is being directed and defined by people growing up in a world that accepts (even demands) the "here and now", the "immediate" as the norm.

I probably should have added that it is this generation that is doing for the hobby what this generation demands and has forgotten about the people who keep the hobby alive. The majority of those people are from a different and place, one that is no longer recognised or considered as a result of contemporary mentality.

You could therefore say that the biggest change is the attitude of the people (now) directing traffic.

This Kit Vs RTR thing is a pet peave of mine. I don't like the direction the hobby is taking in this instance. I have been attempting to promote kit building with my contest. As of late, people don't seem to be interested in the new contest. Maybe it's because of my lack of interest and my verbally stating I don't like RTR's pervasiveness in the hobby.

At any rate, I think I've stated what I've wanted and should likely move on, now.

Back