How much current does a set of NJ International Crossbucks draw? [was "Who makes flasher circuits..."]

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I've done half a dozen google searches and been unable to find what I really need: A simple alternating flasher circuit board where I can plug in two NJ International #1193 single-lane "gantry" crossbuck flashers like the one pictured below:

NJ_Intl_GantryCrossbuck.jpg

I don't know if having double the number of LEDs will exceed the capacity of a regular flasher controller.

I've already decided on a detection circuit, but it does not include the flasher control board. The so-called "FlashMaster" that NJI has on their website includes a complicated detection system that I don't want to use. I am NOT an electrical engineer, I don't want schematics; I just want something with clear instructions on where to connect to the power source, and where to connect the LEDs.

Can anybody recommend a simple flasher board from a U.S.-based vendor that will work with NJI crossbucks?

Last edited:
I also endorse Ciruitron and I used their flasher unit for my crossing. Be sure to use resistors if you are using LED's at 12 volts.

Greg

KeN in Maryland: Don't forget that you will likely need a detection circuit to activate the flasher circuit. Then, there is the addition of a bell ringer circuit and a speaker.

Greg

KeN in Maryland: Don't forget that you will likely need a detection circuit to activate the flasher circuit. Then, there is the addition of a bell ringer circuit and a speaker.

Greg
Thanks, I've got the detection thing covered too, Greg! And I can live without the bell ringer sound (I've always found them obnoxious in real life because they drown out the sound of the approaching train)

OK, I have the flasher circuit - now I have a new question: I need to know if gantry-type crossbucks - with double the number of LEDs - will overload the flasher board I purchased.

The instructions that came with the flasher board state: "Two crossbucks may be connected to one flasher."

That statement can be interpreted two ways, one view saying "A single flasher can power more than one crossbuck" or the other view saying "You must never use more than two crossbucks with a single flasher." From a current-draw perspective, I'll have the equivalent of 4 crossbucks.

The flasher document also states further on that it can support "up to 3 amps per lamp circuit." I'm not an electrical engineer by any means, but I can't imagine 8 LEDs connected in parallel on one circuit would draw any more than 3 amps. But I've been wrong many times before...so can somebody* tell me if my assumption is correct?

* I don't want to ask the vendor because he'll probably just say "Buy a second flasher unit to be safe."

Ken -

A typical LED draws 20 mA. That's 20 milliamps or 0.020 Amps. So a 3 Amp circuit can theoretically power about 150 typical LEDs!

Different colors of LEDs draw slightly different amounts of current, but 20 mA is a good rule of thumb. So 8 LEDs will draw about 0.16 Amp.

- Jeff

Back