How many engines do you own?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

How many engines do you own?

• Total voters

Iron Horseman

Im as serious as a heart attack when I say this, so to all you guys with heaps of N scale locos sitting in jewel cases in your basement.
Sorry, I sold most of the N-scale. I do still have 1 SD45 in Santa Fe, but it is one of my favorite locos, I got new in junior high. Not willing to part with it. Which is also funny as it is sitting in a jewel case box in a bigger box the train storage room.

Iron Horseman

So back to the non-derailed topic. In the box where the SD45 was (see favorite locomotive thread), there were a total of 9 N-scale locomotives. Set of Alco PABA, Alco FA2, three E8s, a 2-8-2, a 0-4-0, an 0-6-0, and of course the SD45. I believe I have 2 more boxes, not counting the stuff I inherited from my father in 2013.

Last edited:
So back to the non-derailed topic. In the box where the SD45 was (see favorite locomotive thread), there were a total of 9 N-scale locomotives. Set of Alco PABA, Alco FA2, three E8s, a 2-8-2, a 0-4-0, an 0-6-0, and of course the SD45. I believe I have 2 more boxes, not counting the stuff I inherited from my father in 2013.
what brand was that SD45?

CambriaArea51

When you like to run 3 on the head end and 1 or 2 pushers it doesn't take long to add up a fleet of engines.I'm in the "Some" category,some are on order,some I have,and some are for sale.:)

Bruette

At last count I have 29 Lionel O locomotives, but I have added many more and I have not kept up with my inventory. I estimate/guess the total is about 50.

I have 69 HO locomotives, 7 N locomotives and 1 On30 street car. I think these numbers are accurate, but I really need to do a physical inventory.

Now that you have asked, you have me thinking "WTF am I going to do with all of this?!"

Wondering how many engines you currently own? Can you ever own too many?

I've been finding myself constantly looking (ebay) for that next neat, unique engine that I dont have yet?
G'day .. I am now doing modern-ish early 1980's to today via ATSF/Burlington/BNSF in HO but when I began modelling I started in N .
I cannot bring myself to part with seven locomotives and about 30 rolling stock ., One day I'd be awesome to do a 4 by 8 N Scale again once I finish doing my HO layout .....if it ever gets finished of course . Is a layout ever really finished.

I've got 15 HO scale that I run, there'll be no more as my gathering days are over. A few more that dont run and are just placeholders (including an old rubber band drive engine). I dont think 15 is really insanity, just, ummm, ahhh, well lets say "less than 20..."

Then there is the exhibit shelf with my dads standard gauge scale, my brothers O scale, my HO scale, and my N scale trains

PA250016.JPG
PA250017.JPG

trailrider

I think I just counted, but may have missed a couple in a drawer someplace. At least 74 steam and diesel. But remember, this is over a period of about 62 years! Those are HO. That doesn't count about three or four S-scale American Flyer ones I had starting about eight years old, but gave away when I switched to HO. o_O

Alcomotive

Grandson of ALCO Bldr
6 steamers
108 diesels (94 are union pacific engines)
613 freight cars
31 passenger cars
43 non revenue cars (Cabeese, MoW and such)

and counting......I had more at one time but I purged a few times now I just do specific locos and freight for my layout design. I will get a few more odd balls here and there for "inter change" or run through freight.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.