How Many Different Locomotives Road Names do you Have on Your Layout?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
How many different locomotive road names do you have on your railroad? Since I'm modeling the Fallen Flag railroads in Wisconsin in the 1970 - 1990 era, I have many different road names. I even included some of roads that just partially ran through or into Wisconsin. On my Chicago, Milwaukee & Norther Railroad you'll see the Milwaukee Road, SOO, C&NW as the prime carriers and the LS&I, Northern Pacific, Wisconsin Central and the MN&S as secondary players.

What railroads make apperances on your layout and why?

Greg

Interesting question. I model the BN in the Pacific Northwest in 1995. So there is obviously the BN in its variety of schemes. In 1995, BN was short on power so there were also MRL, MPI, EMD and GATX leasors. BN had long term leases on LMX B39-8Es and Oakway SD60s. They had also leased ATSF C30-7s for coal train service. NS locomotives would show up occasionally as run through power. There were also the occasional ATSF SD40-2, SD75 or GP60M/B. Those are the legit names then there are the ones I just like, for example, a pair of DRGW SD40T-2s I made after a field trip to Utah, a CP SD40-2 and SP SD45T-2 just because they look cool. Then the plausible UP Dash 8-40C that would occasionally show up on the Boardman coal trains.

Three only. I have about 75 ATSF units appropriate for my extended era, 1978-1994. They range from GP35's and SD40's up to Dash9-44CW's. I also have a single BNSF unit and a single SLSF (Frisco) unit used for my interchange.

DM&IR: 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone, SD7, SW2
Great Northern: 2-8-2, GP35, NW2
Burlington Northern: a dunno, F7
Other: Undecorated narrow gauge 2 truck shay, Undecorated 4-6-4, Union Pacific: 2-8-8-2,
Northern Pacific GP35, Canadian Pacific GP35, and an Erie Lackawana F3 that was my
first HO loco (present from Santa!! ... much like the MDC shay was from Satan).

I think the DM&IR may be buying the shay and the 4-6-4 soon. Reality is optional.

Union Pacific, Milwaukee Road, and Rock Island. UP because it's my 'home road', Milwaukee Road because my son just HAD to have that locomotive from the train show when he was 10. He's 19 now and trains just aren't cool anymore. The Rock Island Mogul I have because my dad worked for the RI when I was a kid.
Basically, though, if it's a locomotive I like and can afford, I'll get it.

Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Grashhook, Galesburg & Western (GG&W) my ficticious subsidiary of the Q; Great Northern; Northern Pacific; Milwaukee Road; Rock Island; Chicago & North Western; one switch engine Santa Fe. Primarily, the Burlington Route because that is what I rode as a boy in Illinois. The GN & NP because they were associated with the Q (actually, they jointly owned it). The North Western because I also rode it and the Milwaukee Road occasionally back and forth to school as a teen. The Santa Fe, because it shared tracks with the Colorado & Southern in Colorado.

Oh sure, ask me after I pack it all up!
Like Paul I'm mainly BN (somewhere between the east and west coast) with lots of loaners and groaners.
With a little foreign power thrown in I'd guess maybe eight roads all together.
Oh, and Jerome, go ahead and count 'em... we'll wait! ;)

Largely Pennsylvania, in pre 1962, 1962 and 1966 schemes. New York Central, Penn Central, Conrail, B&O, C&O (1), Chessie System, Reading and Jersey Central fill out the roster, reflecting the different directions my interest has taken over the last forty or so years.

Boris

Oh sure, ask me after I pack it all up!
Like Paul I'm mainly BN (somewhere between the east and west coast) with lots of loaners and groaners.
With a little foreign power thrown in I'd guess maybe eight roads all together.
Oh, and Jerome, go ahead and count 'em... we'll wait! ;)
Rick, we did that once. It was a LONNNNGGGGGGGGG list. LOL

Attachments

• LAJ #1 ALCO S-2 Builders Photo.jpg
    LAJ #1 ALCO S-2 Builders Photo.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 305

Back