How do you guys lay track???

Your wrong.

I used woodland scenics roadbed and i used hot glue to adhere that to foam.
I used it on wood and foam also, both work really good.

Just make sure you get a 6-10 dollar hi/low temp hot glue gun.
Get the ones at walmart, make sure you get the bigger style gun so it uses the big longer glue tubes.

When you glue to foam have it on the lower setting and to wood i used the higher setting.
When you glue foam to foam on higher setting it pretty much just melts down the subroadbed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If/when you ever go to remove that roadbed, do you think it will become torn up from prying it away from the adhesive?
I do. That's what I would expect to happen.
When two materials are bonded by an adhesive and then separated by mechanical means after the adhesive cures, one of those materials has to give.
That's the point I was making.

Well not to sound like an a-hole here, but in my own opinion roadbed is cheap. I have used the WS foam roadbed with great results and I buy it in the 24' rolls for about 8 bucks. If I cant afford to replace a roll or 3 of that then I am in the wrong hobby...

Your wrong.

I used woodland scenics roadbed and i used hot glue to adhere that to foam.
I used it on wood and foam also, both work really good.

Just make sure you get a 6-10 dollar hi/low temp hot glue gun.
Get the ones at walmart, make sure you get the bigger style gun so it uses the big longer glue tubes.

When you glue to foam have it on the lower setting and to wood i used the higher setting.
When you glue foam to foam on higher setting it pretty much just melts down the subroadbed.

Well thats what I was thinking...that the temp of the glue would just melt the foam right away, but I was unaware of a glue gun with different heat settings... Learn somethin new everyday!

Well not to sound like an a-hole here, but in my own opinion roadbed is cheap. I have used the WS foam roadbed with great results and I buy it in the 24' rolls for about 8 bucks. If I cant afford to replace a roll or 3 of that then I am in the wrong hobby...

I agree.
Never expect to reuse roadbed.

Exaxtly.

I use ws rd bed as well. And using hot glue, if you need to rip it up just grab a corner and start to rip up, grab a good chunck of it and pull hard, it usually comes up in one 2 foot section if your lucky.

On wood usually all it takes to get the old remaining glue off table is a good gasket scraper or even a retractable knife with the blade extended all the way out and you can pretty much using the knife to cut the glue off then whatever remains take the scrapper and bam, your good to go.

Ive had to change my road bed a few different times (my fault) but like the other guys say, toss it in garbage. They are like .89 cents a peice, if you cant afford that then i feel bad for you because road bed is probably the cheapest model railroad item besides rail joiners.

You dont reuse railjoiners do you? I toss my old railjoiners in trash when i change track, etc.

WHAT??? Now I cant reuse rail joners?? Well then I guess I should stop straitening out all the bent track spikes to reuse then too eh? :eek::D

Exaxtly.

I use ws rd bed as well. And using hot glue, if you need to rip it up just grab a corner and start to rip up, grab a good chunck of it and pull hard, it usually comes up in one 2 foot section if your lucky.

On wood usually all it takes to get the old remaining glue off table is a good gasket scraper or even a retractable knife with the blade extended all the way out and you can pretty much using the knife to cut the glue off then whatever remains take the scrapper and bam, your good to go.

Ive had to change my road bed a few different times (my fault) but like the other guys say, toss it in garbage. They are like .89 cents a peice, if you cant afford that then i feel bad for you because road bed is probably the cheapest model railroad item besides rail joiners.

You dont reuse railjoiners do you? I toss my old railjoiners in trash when i change track, etc.

My original point applied only to my current situation: gluing temporary track directly to plywood subroadbed. Any extruded foam subroadbed would likely get chewed up.

I never mentioned actual cork or foam road bed at all.
However, pulling that up would probably destroy it, thus earning it a one-way trip to the bin.

Lol.

As long as your not relying on railjoiners to carry the power to each track then who cares if the joiners are sloppy

Back