How about Foamboard for roadbed?

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Have any of you tried "Foamboard" for a roadbed? This is not the insulation board, but the type used in art work for posters and etc. It has a foam core and sided with a clay impregnated card stock.

I am rebuilding a yard and have several sheets of 3/16" Foamboard. This would be ideal for using in a yard since it is flat and doesn't require banking on the roadbed. Most important, I have it on-hand and wouldn't have to buy additional WS foam roadbed. ;) Several questions came into mind: Will it hold up to water/moisture during ballasting/groundcover work? Would it be durable enough for normal use?

I did try a little experiment by soaking a side with water. The side covering will pull loose from the foam, but only if you pull it and only until dry again, but otherwise remained intact. There was warpage in the board, but it wasn't glued down flat to anything.

So, have you tried it or what would be your opinion. Thanks to all replies. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, I haven't used it for roadbed but I have used it for structures. It's plenty strong enough for that and I've used both white glue and contact cement with no ill effects. I imagine that latex caulk would work fine for gluing down large sections like you want to do. It takes acrylic and oil paints with no problem but don't use lacquer based paints. It causes the clay layer to bubble up real fast. As long as you use normal ballasting techniques and aren't really soaking the foamboard all the way through with water, I don't think it would be a problem. Why not cut out a strip and lay some track and ballast and see what happens?

Thanks Jim, that is encouraging and trying it out with a small piece of track is a good idea. A year ago, I ordered a case of this stuff and got it at half the price of Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I still have 17, 20x30 sheets, so the use of a few of these will save me a few bucks on the yard relocation. I wouldn't think of buying it for this purpose as it would probably cost more in the long run...but a bird in hand...is cheep-er.:D :D

Huh, interesting idea Rex. I'm using the same foam board, though I have Sky Blue, for backdrops.

The paper (even clay coated) will eventually swell when water, alcohol or other wet scenery processes are used.

Even tho you have the foamcore on hand, I prefer sheet cork for yards.

Hi KenW:
I tried a small piece of foamboard today and let it dry in the sun. So far it looks good, but again, it is a small piece. Since the yard is only going to have a relative thin base of ballast when compared to regular ground cover, maybe the water/white glue mix of 3:1 will actually help to bond everything when it dries.:confused:

I agree that cork or foam sheets would be the best, but a dollar here and a dollar there can go into my car's gas tank :D.

i think it will work, and I'm a fan of using what is available. Go for it.

Back