Hornby Hogwarts Express derails on Atlas HO code 83 frogs

eberners

My son recently bought an OO Hornby Hogwarts Express loco for his kids' layout that is all Atlas HO code 83 track. The front truck of the loco derails on turnout and crossing frogs, with a 60 degree crossing being the worst problem. It appears that the flanges can't stay in the flangeway at the frog but ride up and over the rail and we can't see any reason why that happens. The problem with turnouts was somewhat relieved by putting out-of-gauge axles exactly in HO gauge but that did not help with the crossing. I thought that the loco might run on code 100 track because of the extra 0.017 of rail height, but it appears that the flangeway depth in code 100 is the same as in code 83. I bought some code 100 track but have not been able to try it yet (he has the loco).

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had this problem and knows how to fix it. I'd like to hear from anyone who has an idea that might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
A stronger lead truck spring would probably help. if you can't do that, try adding a little weight to the truck and see if that works.

Back