Hopper Barge scratch build

bigfoot13

A recent MRR magazine article inspired this build. The cargo will be either coal or gravel.

Since I have not 100 confident I'll even be able to use it on my layout I decided to not use my limited supply of styrene. I also wanted to inspire others with limited funds and resources.

I laminated 4 sheets of card stock together with modpog. I've filled in the voids with Golden molding paste and then coated with Golden Gesso and Matte Medium. I still need to add some more details (cleats & bit bollards) before I paint. I'm thinking of painting it Fireweed which is the color sample next to it. Mineral Red was my goal but wanting to find a locally available color. Below waterline will be black.

The dimensions are about 11"x4".

Maybe Boomer will inspire me to build a tug too.

Looking forward to constructive criticism.

I know paper can warp which is why I'm experimenting with Gesso and Matte Medium. This may be a prototype for a styrene build, we'll see. I'm mostly just having fun experimenting.

Attachments

• IMG_20230608_195321054.jpg
    IMG_20230608_195321054.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230608_195307850.jpg
    IMG_20230608_195307850.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
A recent MRR magazine article inspired this build. The cargo will be either coal or gravel.

Since I have not 100 confident I'll even be able to use it on my layout I decided to not use my limited supply of styrene. I also wanted to inspire others with limited funds and resources.

I laminated 4 sheets of card stock together with modpog. I've filled in the voids with Golden acrylic paste and then coated with Golden Gesso can Matte Medium. I still need to add some more details before I paint. I'm thinking of painting it Fireweed which is the color sample next to it. Mineral Red was my goal but wanting to find a locally available color. Below waterline will be black.

The dimensions are about 11"x4".

Maybe Boomer will inspire me to build a tug too.

Looking forward to constructive criticism.

I know paper can warp which is why I'm experimenting with Gesso and Matte Medium. This may a prototype for a styrene, we'll see. I'm mostly just having fun experimenting.
Thats an awesome build!

You have to squeeze that in somewhere!

I know paper can warp which is why I'm experimenting with Gesso and Matte Medium. This may be a prototype for a styrene build, we'll see. I'm mostly just having fun experimenting.
I will be watching your build!
I really like the use of alternate materials to build models from.
My club has used meat tray foam to build bridge abutments and other structures that present a different texture to the model.
I use microwave food tray plastic for some floors ,bracing and roofing in some structures.
Different papers and cardboards reinforced with gesso will give some interesting stucco or plaster walls.
Be sure to keep it fun.

I made a little bit of progress. Added gussets to the outside edge of the hold.

Ok, so this isn't really part of my scratch build but I do have a paper version of it coming along too. I'll post pictures later. I'm hoping to print the double bit bollards and cleats during lunch today. I'm opting for sla 3d print of these details since I haven't figured out a way to make the cleats yet. I think I have some ideas for the bollards.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6074851 60'x26' HO Scale deck barge based on dimensions from https://mcdonoughmarine.com and https://schoellhorn-albrecht.com

Hopper and deck barges paper version with 3D printed parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20230612_132247919.jpg
    IMG_20230612_132247919.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230612_130650514.jpg
    IMG_20230612_130650514.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 52
Amazon - "Gessos are ready-to-use liquid grounds formulated for the use of acrylics on any commonly used painting surface. They are flexible and can be applied in thin layers to conform to a variety of textured surfaces without cracking."

I'm using it to see if I can help see the paper and prevent as much warping from mosture.

In days long gone I used Strathmore Bristol Board heavy art papers for many items with success and it has appeared to be quite stable even after 50 years or more.

@747flier that's an interesting idea. I see it's available in lots of different sizes which would be provide more options and is probably more available then styrene. Wonder how it compares to poster board longevity? It's in line with my goal of available.

Some day I may develop a STEM (or STEAM) lesson for model railroading..

STEM is an acronym in education for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

STEAM adds Art to the mix

The deck barge has 2 coats of latex paint mentioned earlier and the hopper has 1 coat.

Attachments

• IMG_20230614_081656757.jpg
    IMG_20230614_081656757.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 49
It's an archival paper for art work, should last possibly hundreds of years. Canson from Europe also makes a similar art paper, I picked up some at Michael's craft store. A ship modeler that I know of made very tiny ships boats with board by board construction, all of the parts accurately laser cut. Some of the models I built using paper with Elmers glue, have not deteriorated over 60 years.

Just a comment, non water based paints or at least a primer avoid warping!

I've made progress on the deck barge but not the hopper.

Added a black acrylic wash, painted the cleats and bit bollards yellow. Weathered with some pan pastels but that disappeared with the clear coat as expected. Next up is some rust.

IMG_20230620_064107650.jpg

Back