HO pine trees?

kylewoody

Hey guys,

I've been on the hunt lately to put realistic pine trees on my HO shelf layout. I'm modelling Douglasville (just a bit west of Atlanta, GA), but can't seem to find any good "southern" pine trees really. All of the prebuilt/trunk kits look like Christmas trees.

Anyone know how to model these things? I've included a couple pictures to show what I would want. First one here shows some crappy little shrubs on the left side of the photo.

3331899609_339b0876e0_o.jpg

In this one, you can see on the right, the taller mature trees. However, they're more fat and round, rather than narrow and pointy.

3332735944_9baf62aa0c_o.jpg

As well, the material for modelling the leaves/needles, what have you, seems like it would be a bit tricky, compared to the normal clump foliage.

Thanks for any input!
Kyle

Thanks guys! Yeah, those trees look somewhat like it... I think I'm going for more of a long needle leaf look though, which can't really be replicated with the Woodland Scenics stuff.

I might have to try that Caspia synthetic stuff then to make them. Ill keep you guys posted!

Kyle

Thanks for the reply.

They look great! I started making some out of twine and floral wire and I am not sure yet if I like them. I need to fatten up the trunks on them some more too. I'm looking for a fast way to make a bunch of them that look great like yours.

This is one of them that I just did. In the background you can see a few more also.
DSCF4188.jpg

Thanks Ken: You might want to check out "How to bottle brush conifers" in the Scenery section. I made conifers and dec.

Back