HO New River Mining Kit

ianacole

I searched and didn't find anything addressing the specific question I have. I've built the main structure, and as normal, I started playing... setting a track underneath the coal chutes and running a car underneath.

The first car at my disposal was a Roundhouse caboose, and it couldn't clear the chutes. This leads me to believe that a locomotive (GP35) wouldn't fit under either. Should this run in a pass through configuration, or should it be set up to back coal cars underneath? Should I begin looking at ways at elevating the structure above the track enough to pass a loco underneath?

Granted, I was using 30 year old track that is stupid tall - I am going to be using code 83 on my layout...will this make any significant difference?

Thanks!

Ian

I built the New River Mine back in 2006 and had no trouble at all, fitting locos or hoppers underneath. Code 83.

slide176.jpg

Some of my structures I had to place on roadbed like my track. Some structures were not built with roadbed in mind so I had to place them on a "roadbed foundation" to bring everything to proper height. Hope this is some help!

Thanks Bob and Ken. I'll throw some code 83 underneath and see how that fares, otherwise I'll look at providing some elevation ... perhaps some concrete shoring would look okay.

You could make some concrete looking footings to elevate the mine. Work some ballast and spilled coal up against them and they would virtually disappear anyway.

If you look at most buildings in the real world, the land they sit on will almost always be level, and raise above the surrounding ground slightly for drainage.

On the work I've done on my layout, any trackside industry will be on the same or slightly higher level than the spurs/sidings and surrounding ground. That way, I don't have to worry about say hi-cubes fitting under awnings and such.

Have you omitted any foundation/footing sections? I doubt that the designers would have intended that the model not have more than two or three scale inches clearance above the top of the gondola/hopper rims. More like two or three whole feet would have been anticipated.

You could carve some HO or N scale cork roadbed to suit, paint it up to look like rock or concrete, and situate the structure on that.

-Crandell

Crandell - nope, built to the instructions, and just played with on the dining room table. The clearance over a hopper looks like it will be good, but just not quite enough to clear the taller movers. This could very well be the result of the track I was using to play with - old tyco or life-like stuff, and when it gets to mounting on the layout the rails will be even lower in reference to the building.

As Trey recommended (and I like your suggestion of using cork roadbed), I'll look at ways of creating elevation for the building, enough to clear anything that may find its way down the spar that will house the mine, and attempt to keep it natural looking.

Ian

When I did mine I routered trenches into the subroadbed to sink the track into.
I didn't do it for clearance so much as to give the track that too many heavy cars sinking look.
Ken... nice job on the mine!

Have you omitted any foundation/footing sections? I doubt that the designers would have intended that the model not have more than two or three scale inches clearance above the top of the gondola/hopper rims.

I see what Ian is talking about. I have built the same model and have noticed the same issue. Hoppers and Gondolas fit under fine with lots of clearance, the problem is with cabooses and locomotives just touch or hit the chutes underneath. When I noticed it I never really gave it much thought because my track ends behind the mine and I won't be driving under it anyway.

Ian the only problem I see with putting something under the footings is that your ladders to the office on the front and back wont touch the ground without footings too, and might look wierd with little footings.

These are some early photos of my mine and I am using standard HO cork roadbed on Code 83 Atlas Flex. The footings of the mine sit down in between the road bed and rail. I am in the process of adding sifted dirt for ground cover where the mine will sit and that should bring it up a little, but is it enough I am not sure yet. Then again I never intended to drive under with locos or cabooses.

View attachment 19388

View attachment 19389

Ken's mine does not look any different to me other than the footing in the foreground is not sitting flat. Ken it is pretty dark under the mine in that shot, do you have the drop chutes in place on your model?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad,

I think a concrete pad would look okay underneath the base of the stairs - this is a pretty common method of providing a secure mounting place.

I ran some code 83 underneath and put a loco in place so you can see what it looks like. It appears that just a little elevation (or sinking the track in relation to the structure) will provide the necessary clearance:

6ynnew.jpg

There is plenty of clearance for a gondola:

2hp13qo.jpg

And here is the entire structure. I still need to do the stairs and railings (waiting for it to warm up here so I can go paint in the garage), and the extension out to where it enters the scenery. Then I'll do some mild weathering (still learning this, so I'm hesitant to do anything major) with maybe a light grime wash:

210j583.jpg

I like the routering idea, although I have no such equipment, and probably won't ever. Good thought, though. As for having to elevate the entire complex with something, whatever works and is handy, one could always create a simple wood or styrene mold and pour a 'cement pad' of plaster of paris to allow any raised ladders and steps to meet something earthbound.

In fact, I have the Walthers Cornerstone Machine Shop, and felt it could use a stone foundation. I used strips of packing pilled styrofoam, the white beaded stuff, and merely painted it a suitable stone colour. Meant I needed steps up to the front entrance, and I used blue Dow extruded foam for those. I just used a hobby knife and cut them out of a small block of the stuff. Nothing fancy or artful (no railings, for example), but they turned out passably. Hasty photo below:

IMG_7373sharadjr.png

-Crandell

That looks great Crandell!!

Ditto, I like it! And nice job on the Mine Ian. I just went and took some photos of the clearence issue, but you beat me to it Ian. And it only gets worse with roadbed under that rail. I am interested to hear if Kens had the chutes or not? Or else he mounted them higher.

Hi Ian: I ran into the same problem with this building. But, my tracks dead end just past the tipple, so I don't have locos or cabooses moving through. If you decide you do need clearance, you'll either have to raise the whole thing, or lower the tracks. As to weathering, any building, and the area around them, is covered with black coal dust. So, I heavily weathered everything. DJ.

P1030597.jpg

P1020329.jpg

Grampys, thanks for lending your expertise - I saw those as I was searching for an answer ... you do amazing work! It's currently not a big issue on my layout as the spurs dead end about 3" past the mine, but I have designed the layout so that if my wife ever allows me more room I can loop around from the south:

2lktf0z.jpg

The mine is represented by the blue building in the southern most area of the layout.

Brad - thanks! It's been about 14 years since I've worked on a model (I did a lot of model cars while I was stationed in Belgium), and this is the second I've built in about 3 weeks, with the first being the Walther's Car Shop. I've been pleased with their products, save a few minor difficulties. So much so, I've got another 2 building on their way!

DJ, just wondering what you are using for loose coal in the foreground of the second shot you posted. Is it course ballast? And is there any way you could post that pond in the second photo again. I have seen it before in here somewhere, but of course I can't find it for the life of me. I am going to pour a similar pond with Casting Resin dyed with enamel based paints and would love to see yours again (Sorry Ian, got off topic there). And while we are at it, can I just fly down to your house and you can tell me eveything you know...:D!

Ianacole,

Nice building, you're doing a great job. Also I like your layout. And hey.. we're almost neighbors, I'm in Broomfield.

Did you get the walthers kit at Caboose Hobbies? LOL I was there yesterday, I go there once or twice a week, working on my new layout. Still laying track.

btw, D&RGW for the win!!! I'm actually modeling the same RR as you. My passanger station is based on Denver Union Station, with a mountain run up coal creek canyon.

Michael

Thanks, Brad and Ian. Brad, that coal is from, I believe old Life Like, I picked up many moons ago. Unlike ballast, it is shiny like real coal. I don't know if they still make it or not. I used WS water for this, because I didn't care if it was wavy and never really got hard, and I had some left over. The color is a reflection of my blue back drop. Sure, come on down, we have friends from St. Catherines, Ont. coming down for Easter. DJ.

P1010283.jpg

Michael,

I did get the Car Shop from Caboose - I had to order the mine from a shop in Texas as that's the only place I can find it. I spend as much time at Caboose as my wife will let me ;) I've purchased all my new locos, rolling stock, and track there as I prefer to support local businesses. I've been thinking on how best to go about modeling Union Station since there isn't a specific kit for it, and this is just awesome (from Miller Engineering):

Travel-by-train-gif-1.gif

Back