HO motive power u use.

Very general title. It kinda of means what-u-got, what-u-use behind it, even a little why. How and where, up to you. there is no special type steam, diesel, spaceship.( Nix the last one it is to different). Any will do' There is no country to this. There is no place to this. All layouts are just a surface with track on it. That goes from here to there. What have you got pulling on that main line today.
I'll start ;
I only have 2 circular mainlines. I have a 4-6-2 steamer on the outer and a 4-6-0 steamer on the inner. Both are pulling Pennsylvania Railroad passenger trains. On the outer rails the Pacific is of English construction made by Triang. It is a old engine not run by many today, but it has found a place on my layout. It is colored black. It has a name on it "Princess Victoria". The railroad it is finished for is the British Railway. A all black tender has the BR coat of arms on its center. As this loco goes around you here a chugging sound coming from it. It is a little mechanical device worked from one of the tender axels. Very simple. This locomotive is pulling, rather nicely, a group of 4 80'+ streamliners made by Con-Cor. They look very good together going down the track. On the inner rails the 4-6-0 is also of British heritage. Made by Hornby it is a LMS -London Metro Service loco finished in black with the road number 5138 low on it cabs side. Red pin striping is on the cab side and outlines the tender side. The large 4-6-0 pulls 3 Tyco Pennsylvania RR streamliners.
Right now this is what you would see if you were here. check out the viedo link. Doubleheading Pacifics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/4800432746/

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam
2-8-0 X1
2-8-2 X4
4-8-2 X1
2-8-4 X2

Alco
S1 X2
FA1 x3
FB2 X2

GE
U-28 x1

EMD
F7 x4
F7B X3
Gp18 X4
Gp7 x1
NW2 x2

I have about the same amount sitting in boxes is misc condition mostly old ,outdated and only used for parts to kit bash a "new" loco.

Re

Steam
2-8-0 X1
2-8-2 X4
4-8-2 X1
2-8-4 X2

Alco
S1 X2
FA1 x3
FB2 X2

GE
U-28 x1

EMD
F7 x4
F7B X3
Gp18 X4
Gp7 x1
NW2 x2

I have about the same amount sitting in boxes is misc condition mostly old ,outdated and only used for parts to kit bash a "new" loco.

TRENT ; So what is on a mainline right now pulling what?
frank

On my mainline right now, I have 2 MTH SD70Ace's pulling a 25 car intermodal and 17 car mixed freight trains.

Well not exactly this minute, I'm at work too. ;)

On my departure track at the station, a BLI J Class 4-8-4 ahead of three smooth-sided Pullman coaches. Already out there easily towing a bunch of H2a coal hoppers is a Rivarossi H-8 Allegheny. I also have a H6a Mikado (2-8-2) from Trix in NYC livery. All three have added Tsunami "heavy" steam decoders. The Allegheny and the Mikado each came with a LokSound decoder, but I didn't like the sound files. The Mikado was not bad, but the Allegheny didn't sound like a heavy steamer at all, and had the wrong kind of whistle.

-Crandell

Hey, great idea for a topic!
As of right now we have:

At Longhurst: The LWX West (MT unit coal train) with BN#7914 (BLI SD40-2 ) and BN#5004 (Atlas C30-7 )

At Gibson: The WLZ East (stack train) with BN#3517 (Atlas GP40), GATX#2620 (Athearn GP38-2), and BN#3513 (Atlas GP40)

In Grand Coulee: The WLX East (loaded unit coal train) with BN#6635 (Athearn F45), GM Oakway #9003 (Proto 2000), and BN#9512 (Athearn SD70-MAC)

In Springfield: The 698 East (passenger) with Amtrak#391 (Kato F40PH)

Waiting to depart Spencer East: The 303 West (freight forwarder) with BN#2522 (Kato GP35), SF #6310 (Atlas B23-7), BN#606 (Athearn GP9-B) and BN#2260 (Athearn GP38-2)

And last but not least, slowly making its way thru Mallory: The LSF West (connecting forwarder) with CN#3210 (Atlas C425)

There's also a MOW train waiting for power to be assigned in Lake Winifred and a Sperry van holding things up in Huard.

On the layout right now are two SDP40F's (1 with Athearn chassis, the other with P2K chassis), two Bachmann GP40's, Two Atlas GP40 chassis with Bachmann shells, two Bachmann GP30's, one Athearn GP40, One Athearn GP38-2, one Athearn F7A, one Bachmann 4-6-2, one Bachmann 4-8-4. In the display rack there are four Athearn F7's (3 A's, 1 B), two P2K FA chassis (1 with Bachann FT shell, 1 with Athearn F7B shell), three Athearn P's (1 A, 2 B's), one P2K SW1200, one Athearn SW7, one Athearn SD40, one Athearn SD40-2, one Athearn GP38-2, one P2K GP38-2, one P2K PA1, four P2k E units (1 E6A, 1 E6B, 2 E7A's), 1 MDC RS2, 1 Athearn SW1500, one Bachmann FTA, one Bachmann 4-6-0, one Bachmann 0-6-0, one Mehano 2-10-2, one Athearn SD9, one Atlas SD24 rebuilt to SD27J, one Atlas GE U30C rebuilt to U30M-R-EM-645, and I'm not diving into the storage boxes to list the 30+ locos in there.In all between 70 and 75 locos. I'm not even going to start listing rolling stock. My Social Security would expire before I finished.

I have a trio of Geeps (2 GP38-2's and one GP9) pulling a MOW train around the layout. Train is 3 cleaner cars, two Centerlines and one Ribbon Rail. I have an intermodal with a pair of AC6000's and GM train with an SD45-2 and an SD40-2, each waiting for the maintenance window to expire. This is the first time I've cleaned the track since we moved here, and it's overdue.

I have an ATSF layout set on the San Bernardino Sub division from San Bernardino to Riverside in 1995, just prior to the merger with the evil BN.

Its 16' long 6' wide - double track, block DC (for now!).

The 'West side' has 2 arrival tracks, 2 depature, 3 stub end intermodal tracks. It also houses a locomotive service facility - 4 tracks using a Walthers kit and also 2 tracks at the sanding tower.

The 'East side' has a spur line off to the grain elevator- stub end.

Locomotive roster:

ATSF:
2 x GP40X
2 x GP50
2 x GP60M
2 x GP60B
1 x GP60
1 x GP38-2
1 x B40-8
2 x B40-8W (on order. Thank you Atlas!!)
2 x C44-9W (still waiting for another C40-8W run)
1 x SD45
1 x SD40-2
1 x SD45-2

SP
2 x SD40-2T
1 SSW GP60

Other railroads:

1 x Conrail SD60M
1 x Norfolk Southern SD50
1 x UP GP38-2

I also have a Metrolink F59PHI with 2 trailer cars + 1 cab car.

Once I get more familar with the forums, I'll upload some photos.

Cheers,

[QUOTE I have an ATSF layout set on the San Bernardino Sub division from San Bernardino to Riverside in 1995, just prior to the merger with the evil BN.
QUOTE]

Moi ha ha ha ha!!!!:cool:
(sinister laugh)

oh boy..i have about a dozen sd40-2's including 2 b units...a pair of b30-7a b units..and mix and matches of gp50's, 40-2's, 38-2's..gp15's, a couple sd9's, couple switchers, a few uboats...so pretty much I have locos coming out of my ears

Todays action along the Frankford branch

* Today my small passenger train running the inside loop will continue servicing the branches stations. A power change to a PRR G5s has been made.The little people got to get to work. On the outside loop a pair of Hippos, PRR I1s, will yank a mixed freight thro the branch territory. For the rest of the morning some repair work at the roundhouse will keep me busy. A pacific lead truck is acting up on switch frogs and needs a tweaking.
frank
Chief engineer
Pennsylvania Great Western,
Frankford Branch

Since I don't have a main line, or even a layout...

IMG_4307.jpg

...my little 0-4-0 pushes ore around on the carpet. :)

Evening train run

On my outer loop I ran doubleheaded pacific locomotives. They pulled the Con-Cor PRR streamliner, through the Frankford branch. The pair of pacifics are ones that I have been told don't run on or through standard HO track and switches. The only switches I use on my main lines are Atlas #6. The locomotives are Triang Princess class pacifics from the 1960s, maybe earlier. I reshaped the flanges on the Princess Royal but did nothing to the Princess Victoria.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/4800432746/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/4799802201/

S1b 2-8-2 pulling up to the water column on a siding while a train is passing by on the branchline in the BG.

MLW FA1 on the mainline.

MLW S3 on a spur.

P-5h 0-8-0 on branchline.

N4a 2-8-0 at team track.

RS3 at Station's siding.

NW2s on a private spur.

GMD SW8 in the staging area in the closet.

Back