HO icing platform

Ironhorse

Has anyone here ever built a PFE-style icing platform? I'm considering doing an 8' module with a double ended siding for the platform, enough for approximately 8-9 reefers. I picked up one of the 16" long Tichy kits as a trial, which looks correct for a PFE platform. My only other choice is to build it from scale lumber and match it to the drawings in my PFE book, but that would be a ton of work.

Any thoughts and info appreciated.

I wanted one that could handle 6 cars. I built it from a couple of bags of Campbell's long switch ties (no longer available?).

It was modeled after a photo in the old Rail Classics magazine and the model was a construction article I wrote for the Feb. 1980 Railroad Modeler Magazine (defunct magazine). Complete drawings and plans are in it if you can find a copy.

Since then, I modified it and added other support structures and plan to lengthen it soon. You can never have an ice deck that is too long!

Chas.

The Tichy kit is PFE-ish, but then, so were all of the prototype PFE platforms! :D The drawings in the PFE book are official, but the local contractors who actually built the platforms often took liberties. Just look at the photos of the platforms in the same book. Tony Thompson himself once told me that there never was a PFE platform built just like that drawing! I built a about 1200 HO scale feet of the Tichy platform. It's nice, goes together well and looks great. Use it!

BTW, Nice model Charles!

Back