HO and S Dual Gauge Track?

sffc

I am refurbishing an HO scale train layout. In my train collection, I have both HO (16.5 mm) and S (22.42 mm) scale trains that I'd like to display. There is not enough space to have two separate HO and S scale tracks side by side.

Is there a commercially available HO+S dual gauge track? I've seen a lot about HO+HOn3 or S+Sn3 dual gauge, but I haven't been able to find anything about mixing the two scales.

Can't say I've ever seen or heard of HO and S standard guage dual track being commercially available. Demand would be so low as to probably preclude it's manufacture. Otherwise the other alternative may be to hand lay some yourself. There is HO dual in both 16.5mm standard and 12mm made by Tillig and I think Peco but that's not much help to you.

Interstingly, Australia has/had 63", 56.5" and 42" all used as mainline guages.

I did find this article on the difficulty of modelling broadgauge etc in Australia which while of no real help, will at least make it known that you are not alone with these dilemmas
http://armchairmodellerdownunder.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/australian-ho-broad-gauge.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of dual gauge/dual scale track for O and Standard Gauge but not for HO and S. You might consider handlaying the track using code 100 rail - slightly oversize for HO and just about right for S. Handlaying turnouts would be a challenge for dual gauge but it is possible.

Back