Highway

The other day I decided I wanted to try doing some scenery and so on here's a couple pics of my highway scene with my scratchbuilt road. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

What kind of car is that white sedan? The weathering on your road looks VERY realistic, your scenery leaves something to be desired, work on that dirt/rock cut and it'll look even better.

I agree, the road weathering looks good. What did you use to make the roadway surface? I ask because it's really too rough to simulate asphalt in our 1:87 world. The really large cracks and rough spots don't look realistic. The road should look basically smooth with some small cracks but they shouldn't be really big like the one to the right of the red car.

Also remember that asphalt roads are laid on a gravel subbase. One of the things that makes a road look more realistic is have a gravel shoulder on each side to simulate this subbase.

well all I did for the suface was paint it and then I rubbed some black chalk on afterwards. The reason the crack looks so big by the car is because the road didn't glue down very well to foam, and this was more a quick diorama that I decided to try and make so I didn't really go to much into detail.

fwiw, I use black sandpaper, 400? grit, for HO asphalt. It needs a light overspray of dull black to knock down the sheen, some miscellaneous hits with grimey black to vary the tone, and some dirty brown just because....; but the texture looks pretty good in HO scale.

Back