High Baller for 69 years and counting.

NVR/WAS RxR

Hey Fellow Railers,
My Grandfather and Father introduced me to O Gauge in 1950. I've rolled G, S, O, HO (00), N, & Z gauges. Even when my Great-Uncle retired from the NYC, on his final yard call, he let me take the throttle. My life is on THE LINE. And I'll SEE YA' DOWN THE LINE.
Jim

n
Jim, was that throttle on a Steam Engine...?
This hobby is the perfect hobby... and the real stuff is always at the heart of it.... All I can say is don't wait a minute to get started. Measure your space.. clean it out... decide on the scale, join a club if you can, go to shows, make choices, make some plans for the room.... Make several.... They seem to get better each time.. BTW. And go for it. You'll never be done having fun with it... I am assuming as a new member you're just getting started...? But either way... have fun.

Randy
Randy,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to check with my cousin, who is still on the line.
My Uncle John throttled the #5270 Steamer for most of his NYC career. Though he started, as a fireman, in 1915, before the #5270 was commissioned.
He hit the line with the #5270 in the early 1930's till he retired in March 1965. His final run was to deadhead to Chicago and take an E7A Diesel (#4025) to GCT. Turn it around and return to Albany Union Sta.
In Albany the Station Master had Uncle John step down. A very emotional ceremony. The #4025 pulled out the station. With a new crew.
Then Uncle John took the cab of a yard bug. Three of my cousins and I hopped on board. As soon as we crossed the Hudson River bridge Uncle John gave each of us a few minutes at the throttle. Mine was last. And parking those things is not as easy as parking an HO.
Thanks for your response.
SEE YA' DOWN THE LINE
Jim

Well sir that's a hell of a memory... ! I live in Northville NY not that far from Albany I know the bridge that crosses the river I believe it still the same one... Not sure if it is still used now or not. Anyway.... it would make a good model to build Jim...! Anyway see ya in the forum...
Great Divide, The memory is mostly my cousin Paul's. My Uncle John was Paul's Grandfather. Dude has a massive brain.

Your remembering the RxR bridge is a G.D. Great idea. I've been chatting with others on these RxR ties, about my MAJOR 2020 upgrade.

When Autumn hits I may just go Upstate to try and find that bridge. I know it was at the South end of the D&H Rip yard in North Albany. Somewhere near the Montgomery Ward warehouse? I could use that steel girder style bridge. And what is fascinating is it turns 90 degrees on the middle abutment to let boats through. I mean we're talking MagnoRail-ing the Hudson baby.

Thanks for the recall and your help.

SEE YA' DOWN THE LINE
Jim

post. Great Divide...I just Google Maped the bridge. It's still there. It's called the "Livingston Avenue Bridge". Under I-787 to the AMTRAK station. I think that's where the NYC stock yard was. But I can't find the Union Station. ????Demolished????

Jim -Looks like you will be a welcome addition to the forum.
Mikey,
THNX.
Don't make this our FINAL CUT, but THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN.
Having been in the hobby approaching 69 yrs. I got A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS posted on THE WALL.
MORE RELICS then in THE ENDLESS RIVER on THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.
WISH YOU WERE HERE for A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON.

Oh yeah. SEE YA' DOWN THE LINE,
Jim

Back